Tips for Brown Students Coping During A Time of War OR Natural Disaster
- In uncertain times, when some things are out of your control, spend time on things you can control such as eating well and getting enough rest.
- Keeping to familiar routines such as attending classes and eating on campus can help.
- Seek out friends and satisfy the desire to do something helpful by reaching out and checking on how your friends are doing.
- Limit TV. The constant announcements of "Breaking News" often do little more than produce adrenaline.
- When you are feeling uncomfortable talk to family and friends for reassurance.
- When thinking about highly stressful events it is natural to feel anxious. If that anxiety becomes unmanageable, contact Psychological Services (863-3476).
The American Psychological Association Help Center web site has a list of useful information entitled, Tips on coping with stress following a natural disaster
````````````````````Aleta Johnson, MSW