home      forum      meeting minutes      lottery      program house guidelines      bylaws      links

 

















Residential Council Minutes :: October 21, 2003

Members present: Jesse Goodman, Laurel Rapp, Victor Long, Alexander Merkler, Joshua Troy, Andrew Feinstein, Brookes Brown, Jonathan Marcus, Olanma Okoji, Pamela Dubyak; Ada McElroy; Alexander Carnevale
Alternates present: Allison Shaw; Adam Deitch

Members late: Chris Guhin
Members absent:
Alternates absent:

Policy: Policy Committee met last night and spoke on off-campus and co-ed suite issues.
Lottery: Meeting with Dean Forsberg on Friday to finally set the lottery dates; committee is updating the grapevine descriptions.
Program House: Tuesday, November 4 will be program house education day.

1. Last year there was some discussion and dismay about graduate students claiming one of the Young Orchard dorms. We intend to speak to some graduate students about graduate housing at a late meeting so as to advise Residential Life on our preferences for graduate student housing.

2. Safe Ride is an issue we may bring up soon. We are looking into ways that we can identify problems and discuss issues with the relevant people. Brooks had three suggestions: posting maps of routes, making one route, and lighting stops (especially the one outside Machado). We intend to study routes to identify whether shuttles actually stop: Jesse will send out an email. Dean Forsberg will be getting visitors to come and speak about this issue.

3. Lip sync contest: talent element is controversial. Some like the contest, especially for its fun and the sort of chance for a couple of sophomores to get good housing, it is a happy part of the lottery, and it is entertaining for us. It does not have a long history, and bingo was proposed as a potential replacement, but that is seen as less useful due to it very arbitrariness (that made it appealing as a non-talent replacement). Most want a lip sync contest: also, it is agreed that a replacement event should have an equal level of funness. For now, Pam will schedule a date: if you have a replacement event, email Pamela_Dubyak@brown.edu.

4. Storage: university eliminated storage this year. Director Bova is interested in discussing this issue with some students to figure out how to increase convenience and alleviate cost.

5. Moving off campus: Brooks reads Policy draft of off-campus proposal for seniors. It is approved unanimously (12-0-0).

Submitted by Chris Guhin, Residential Council Secretary 2003-2004