The Writing Center regular business hours are Sunday 3:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Monday - Thursday 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM and Friday 12-3. Appointments are available from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM are scheduled on the hour. One time and ongoing short or long-term appointments are available. To set up an appointment, please send e-mail Writing_Center@brown.edu telling us the dates, times you are available in order of preference (broader ranges of times will make it easier to get an appointment), and the kind of writing piece and page length. Please also include your cell phone number so that if we need to place you on a waitlist, we can reach you promptly.
Those specifically wishing to work with an ESL Associate or on writing pieces written in another language should mention this at the time of their appointment request.
We recommend making appointments three days to seven days in advance during the year, or one week to ten days in advance during the midsemester and end of semester exam periods.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Undergraduate students interested in scheduling an appointment with the ESL Coordinator,
Ashley Ferranti, should email: ESL_Writing_Center@Brown.edu
The following policies are in place to help us best serve Brown's community of writers:
- If you would like to schedule an appointment, please provide the following information:
Day(s)/time(s) of availability: Listing multiple days and times is best.
Example: M 11/ 1, Tu 11/2: 3-6pm and Thur 11/4: 6-9
ESL: Yes / No
Undergrad/Grad and year of graduation:
Course and length of paper: Example: ENGL 10 pgs
- Please bring a printed copy of your work with you. Papers should be double spaced and at least 12-point Times New Roman Font.
- All appointments are 55-60 minutes long and start on the hour.
- Visitors may not have more than one appointment in a day.
- One course paper per visit.
- During the academic year visitors are only allotted three hours per week. For example you may schedule three separate 1-hour appointments or one 2-hour appointment and one 1-hour appointment.
- During the summer session visitors are only allotted two hours per week. For example you may schedule two separate 1-hour appointments or one 2-hour appointment.
- During exam periods visitors may only schedule two appointments per week.
- We do not work on take-home exams unless you have your instructor's permission.
- Please cancel at least 24-hours in advance by emailing Writing_Center@brown.edu or calling 401-863-3524; this way we can give your appointment to someone else.
- If you no-show or repeatedly miss appointments without calling in advance, you will not be allowed to visit the Writing Center again during the semester without approval from the Program Coordinator.
- If you are more than ten minutes late and do not contact us, you risk losing your session.