US Citizens and Permanent Residents

Applying for both Federal and Brown University Institutional Financial Aid is a two step process:

Step 1 - Requirements due by March 1, 2014

CSS PROFILE Application

Complete the 2014-2015 PROFILE online at and indicate Brown University as one of the recipients by using our CSS Code of 3189. (If your parents are separated or divorced, use information from your custodial parent.) Print a copy for your own reference. For Spanish speaking applicants a Spanish Profile is available.

Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE

If your parents are divorced, separated or never married, your noncustodial parent will need to complete a Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE online. You will receive instructions by email from the College Board to send to your noncustodial parent, explaining how s/he may complete this process after you have completed your custodial CSS PROFILE. For additional information regarding the non-custodial parent application requirement, please review the frequently asked question area of our website.

 The 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid

A FAFSA is required to determine your eligibility for all federal financial aid. Although the FAFSA may be filed any time after January 1st, we suggest you file your FAFSA after you have filed your Federal taxes in order to take advantage of the IRS Retrieval Tool (and prior to state scholarship deadlines).  By doing so, you will potentially reduce the need for future corrections and will limit additional requirements requested by our office.  Indicate Brown as one of your FAFSA recipients by using our federal code number 003401.  In the circumstance where your final tax information will not be complete by our deadline or your state scholarship deadline, you should complete the FAFSA using the best estimated figures available.

 *** If you miss our March 10, 2014 deadline please submit your information to IDOC even if it's late. 

Step 2 - Requirements due by March 10, 2014

College Board's Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC)

Brown does not require an IDOC packet from every family. Once you have filed your CSS Profile form, you may receive communication from the College Board providing you with instructions on how to submit the additional documentation requirements listed below. If you do not receive a request from IDOC, the Office of Financial Aid has enough information to provide an estimated financial aid award at the time of admission. If additional information is needed you will notified be by the Office of Financial Aid directly.

Parents' Federal Income Tax Return