Transfer students are admitted to Brown under a need-aware Admission policy. Need aware means that financial need will be taken into account in making the admission decision. To be considered for financial assistance at any time during their undergraduate years at Brown, students must apply for financial aid when they initially apply for admission as a transfer applicant. Students who do not apply for financial assistance with their initial admission application will not be considered for University Scholarship at any point during their undergraduate years at Brown, regardless of any changes in their family’s financial situation.

Transfer students can be considered for any federal/state grants and loans for which they qualify, regardless of whether they applied for financial aid at the time of admission. The Office of Financial Aid will continue to assist admitted transfer students in their efforts to obtain loans and federal/state aid. For more information, please visit: Financial Aid Policy for Transfer Students.

US Citizens and Permanent Residents

Applying for both Federal and Brown University Institutional Financial Aid is a three step process:

Step 1 - Requirements due by February 2, 2015

CSS PROFILE Application

Complete the 2015-16 PROFILE online  and indicate Brown University as one of the recipients by using our CSS Code of 3189. (If your parents are separated or divorced, use information from your custodial parent.) Print a copy for your own reference.

Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE

If your parents are divorced, separated or never married, your noncustodial parent will need to complete a Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE online. You will receive instructions by email from the College Board to send to your noncustodial parent, explaining how s/he may complete this process after you have completed your custodial CSS PROFILE. For additional information regarding the non-custodial parent application requirement, please review the frequently asked question area of our website.

Step 2 - Requirements due by March 2, 2015

The 2015-16 Free Application for Federal Student Aid

A FAFSA is required to determine your eligibility for all federal financial aid. Although the FAFSA may be filed any time after January 1st, we suggest you file your FAFSA after you have filed your Federal taxes in order to take advantage of the IRS Retrieval Tool (and prior to state scholarship deadlines).  By doing so, you will potentially reduce the need for future corrections and will limit additional requirements requested by our office.  Indicate Brown as one of your FAFSA recipients by using our federal code number 003401.  In the circumstance where your final tax information will not be complete by our deadline or your state scholarship deadline, you should complete the FAFSA using the best estimated figures available. 


Step 3 - Requirements due by March 10, 2015

College Board's Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC)

Brown does not require an IDOC packet from every family. Once you have filed your CSS Profile form, you may receive communication from the College Board providing you with instructions on how to submit the additional documentation requirements listed below. If you do not receive a request from IDOC the Office of Financial Aid has enough information to provide an estimated financial aid award at the time of admission. If additional information is needed you will notified be by the Office of Financial Aid directly.

Parents' Federal Income Tax Return

If requested by IDOC, parents should send signed photocopies of all pages and schedules of their 2014 federal tax returns (including photocopies of all W-2 forms) to the College Board by March 10. Please review IDOC Questions and Answers for further details.

Student's Tax Return

If requested by IDOC, and you file a 2013 federal income tax return, please follow the same instructions as for the parents' federal tax return above. If you did not file and were not required to file, submit a non-filer form (available on the IDOC website) in place of student taxes. Please review IDOC Questions and Answers for further details.

Noncustodial Federal Income Tax Return

If requested by IDOC, your noncustodial parent should submit all pages and schedules of his or her 2014 federal tax return (including photocopies of W-2 forms) to the College Board by March 8. Please review IDOC Questions and Answers for further details.

Additional Information

Feel free to include a letter of explanation in the packet you send to the College Board's IDOC Service if your family has special circumstances or unusual expenses, or if you feel there are any other details which will help us to understand more completely your financial situation.