Applying for Federal and Brown University Institutional Financial Aid is a 2 step process:

Step 1 - Requirement due by November 3, 2015

CSS PROFILE Application

The PROFILE, along with information on your FAFSA, will help us determine your eligibility for Brown’s institutional financial aid.  

  • Complete the 2016-2017 PROFILE  at
    • If your biological parents are separated or divorced, use information from your custodial parent.
  • Brown University’s CSS Code is 3189.
  • A Spanish PROFILE will be available after October 1st.
  • Provide details in the PROFILE of any special circumstances or unusual expenses your family may have.

Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE

If your parents are divorced, separated or never married, a noncustodial PROFILE is also required. After you complete the PROFILE registartion process, the College Board will email you instructions and information to provide to your noncustodial parent.  If you do not have contact with your noncustodial parent, please refer to the Noncustodial Parent Waiver petition process or our  frequently asked questions regarding noncustodial parents.

Step 2 - Requirement due by March 15, 2016

2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

A FAFSA is required to determine your eligibility for all federal financial aid, including low-interest federal loans and federal and state grants.  

  • Complete the 2016-17 FAFSA online (not available until January 1st).
  • Brown University’s FAFSA code is  003401
  • Utilize the IRS Retrieval Tool by clicking on “Link to the IRS” 
  • If your final tax information will not be complete by our deadline or your state scholarship deadline, complete the FAFSA using the best estimated figures available.
Upon request only, submit:

In some cases, addition information may be needed in order for the Office of Financial Aid to determine your eligibility for aid.  

  • College Board's Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC)

***Brown does not require an IDOC packet from every family- only upon request.  Once you have filed your CSS PROFILE, you may receive communication from the College Board providing you with instructions on how to submit any additional requirements through IDOC.   If you do not receive a request from IDOC, the Office of Financial Aid has enough information to provide an estimated financial aid award at the time of admission.  

Possible additional requirements through IDOC may include:

  • 2015 federal income tax return for custodial parent(s) (or non- tax filer statement) 
  • 2015 federal income tax return for student (or non-tax filer statement) 
  • 2015 federal income tax return for noncustodial parent, if applicable (or non-tax filer statement) 

Please review IDOC Questions and Answers for further details.