Not all students will need or wish to purchase a computer or laptop when coming to Brown. Therefore, the cost of a computer is not included in your estimated cost of attendance.
If you wish to purchase a computer and you don't have resources of your own, your cost of attendance may be increased to include the cost of a reasonably priced, education-related computer. Pay for it using one one of the following resources:
To purchase a computer using an outside scholarship
- Notify the Office of Financial Aid of your outside scholarship by completing the 2014-15 Outside Scholarship Form
- Email or bring your computer receipt to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Once your outside scholarship payment is deposited in your Student Account, and assuming the balance on your account was $0, you should request a refund of the scholarship payment through the Bursar’s Office and reimburse yourself for the computer purchase.
To purchase a computer using an additional student loan
- Bring your receipt to the Office of Financial Aid and we will assist you in securing a loan for the same amount.
- Once you accept the loan online and it is processed, it will be applied to your student account.
- If the balance on your account was $0, request a refund of the loan proceeds through the Bursar’s Office and reimburse yourself for the computer purchase
If you don’t have funds to pay for the computer up front, submit the documentation of your intended purchase to our office so that we can discuss with you your options.