Dr. Bennett serves as associate dean of the Graduate School, and associate dean for diversity and director of the Office for Diversity and Multicultural Affairs in the Division of Biology and Medicine. In the Graduate School he is responsible for recruitment and coordinating professional development activities for graduate students and postdocs. In the Division of Biology and Medicine Dr. Bennett oversees the recruitment and advancement of medical students, faculty and trainees who are members of underrepresented groups. Prior to joining Brown he served on the faculty at Harvard Medical School and directed the Office for Multicultural Faculty Careers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Previously, Dr. Bennett also served as Senior Director of Development for Life Sciences, Healthcare and Education Industry Partnerships with United Way of Massachusetts Bay, and as Research and Science Specialist in the Office for Diversity and Community Partnership at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Bennett received his BS in biology with a minor in Spanish from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical (A&T) State University, and his PhD in biomedical sciences from Meharry Medical College. At Meharry he was funded as a National Science Foundation (NSF) Alliance for the Enhancement of Science Education and Technology Graduate Teaching Fellow. Dr. Bennett served as a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard Medical School in the Department of Pathology where he was awarded funding by the UNCF-Merck Science Initiative. Dr. Bennett is an alumnus of the Massachusetts Education Policy Fellowship Program and the Harvard University Administrative Fellowship Program.
- Member, Diversity Advisory Board
- Member, Diversity Advisory Cabinet
- Member, Brown-Tougaloo Partnership Campus Advisory Committee
- Coordinator, Brown-Tougaloo Partnership Early-Identification Program in Medicine
- Coordinator, Brown-Tougaloo Partnership Faculty Fellows Program
- Liaison, Brown Minority Housestaff Association
- Liaison, Latino Medical Student Association
- Liaison, Gays, Lesbians and Allies Advancing Medicine
- Liaison, Samuel M. Nabrit Black Graduate Student Association
- Liaison, Student National Medical Association
- Member, Initiative to Maximize Student Development Internal Advisory Board, Division of Biology and Medicine
- Institutional Coordinator, The Leadership Alliance
- Institutional Representative, The National GEM Consortium
- Institutional Representative, The National Name Exchange