Committee on Faculty Equity and Diversity (CFED)
The Committee on Faculty Equity and Diversity (CFED) shall represent the Faculty in personnel issues such as compensation, benefits, leaves, equity, diversity and advancement.
- It shall recommend policy concerning faculty salary, benefits and leaves, and supervise periodic professional assessment of the competitiveness of faculty salaries, benefits and leaves. It shall review annually faculty salaries, benefits (including the Faculty Travel Fund) and leaves for equity in accordance with the Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination4 and for competitiveness with peer institutions.
- It shall assess the diversity of the Faculty by rank and department, conduct periodic reviews of hiring procedures and the role of the departmental Affirmative Action Representative, and shall advise on faculty retention, recruitment and advancement policies.
- It shall assess, promote, and review University policies and practices relating to diversity and non-discrimination, as defined in the Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination4, in support of which it shall be provided reports on faculty hiring and advancement annually by the Office of Faculty Personnel.
- It shall conduct periodic reviews of and submit annual reports on the status of women and minority faculty at Brown, in accordance with the Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination4. It shall make recommendations to improve the status of women and minority faculty where inequities, as defined in the Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination4, are identified and it shall work with the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity, the Dean of the Faculty and the Dean of Medicine and Biological Sciences to articulate goals for a more diverse faculty and help these officers to achieve these goals in accordance with the Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination4. These reviews will include periodic departmental reports of faculty composition by rank, gender and ethnicity.
- It shall monitor the progress of pre-selects and current searches by reviewing monthly reports of searches provided by the Dean of the Faculty and the Dean of Medicine and Biological Sciences. These reports shall list current searches, job descriptions and summary statistics from interim pool reports, short lists, and final hiring decisions. When indicated, the Deans shall refer cases of concern to the CFED for expedited review. The Deans shall provide information about individual ongoing searches on request.
- It shall review denials of promotion, tenure, and re-appointment for adherence to the Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination and submit findings, in writing, to the TPAC, to the Provost, and to the President (as appropriate). Untenured and ex officio members may not participate in these reviews. Associate Professors shall recuse themselves from reviews of faculty at their rank or higher. Members of the Committee must recuse themselves from reviews of faculty members in an academic unit in which they hold an appointment.
- It shall report annually to the Faculty and to the Faculty Executive Committee.
There shall be nine faculty members: three officers; Chair, Vice Chair, and Past Chair; and six others including one from the off-campus hospital-based faculty. Three administrators, the Dean of the Faculty or his/her designee, the Dean of Medicine and Biological Sciences or his/her designee, and the Associate Provost and Director of Institutional Diversity, and the Past-chair of the FEC serve ex-officio and are non-voting.
- The campus-based members shall be distributed among the four groups listed in Section 12, II, in such a way that at least one member from each group is a full professor and no more than three from one group are on the Committee at one time. The position of Chair of the CFED shall rotate among the four groups so that no person from one group shall become Chair until a member of each of the other three groups has served.
- There may not be more than one member from any department unless that department has more than fifty regular faculty members on its rolls.
- No more than one campus-based member of the committee shall have an untenured academic rank and at least four members of the committee shall have the rank of full professor.
- Term of Office
Each year a Vice Chair shall be elected by electronic ballot from the Faculty at large. The year following service as Vice Chair, that person shall become Chair, and the year after serving as Chair, that person shall become Past Chair. Only tenured faculty may serve as Vice Chair, Chair or Past Chair of the CFED. Associate and Assistant Professors must recuse themselves from the committee for the year in which they are considered for promotion review by the TPAC.
- Method of Election
- The Committee on Nominations will solicit nominations from the voting Faculty, and may add names to the list of nominees.
- The Committee on Nominations shall place the candidates into as many categories as there are vacancies, in such a fashion as to insure reasonable balance and wide representation among the groups listed in Section 12,II. Each category shall contain nominees from at least two departments.
- The Vice Chair of the CFED must be elected by a majority of those voting for that position. In the event that no nominee for Vice Chair receives a majority of votes, there shall be a run-off election by electronic ballot between the two candidates who have received the largest number of votes.
- Non-officers of the CFED shall be elected by a plurality of those voting for each category. In the event of a tie vote, a run-off election by electronic ballot will be held to decide the winner.
- Officers of the CFED
- Chair — If the Chair is unable to continue in office, he or she shall be replaced by the Vice Chair, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of the resigned Chair and for the year that he or she would in the normal course of events be Chair.
- Vice Chair — To replace a Vice Chair who has taken the office of a resigned Chair, an election shall be held; the elected person shall hold the office of Vice Chair for the unexpired term of the Vice Chair being replaced and for the following year. To replace a Vice Chair who resigns, an election shall be held.
- Past Chair — In the event of a vacancy in the office of Past Chair, the CFED shall select one of its third year members to be Past Chair. The Committee on Nominations shall then fill the vacancy in the CFED created by one of its members becoming Past Chair in accordance with the rule for filling vacancies in the CFED.
- Non-Officers The Committee on Nominations shall make an interim appointment of a non-officer of the CFED, subject to review by the Faculty at its next Faculty meeting. Such interim appointments shall last only until the next election.
- Officers of the CFED
4 Corporation Statement on Nondiscrimination: Brown University does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or sex, except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification. The University will develop and from time to time update an affirmative action program and will insist on a good-faith effort on the part of its employees to comply with the program. The University will request and expect its agents and those with whom it conducts its affairs to meet the commitments of this important program.