Get Ready to Repay
Whether you're a new borrower, been in school for a while, graduating soon, or a Brown alumn - there are steps you can take to be successful in your loan repayment.
Be sure you've completed all required loan exit counseling within 30 days of dropping below 1/2 time enrollment.
Optional Ways to Learn
3. Drop-in Hours
Come to Drop-in Hours at the Loan Office. We'll hold one-on-one meetings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays from 2:00-4:00pm between April 28th and May 21st.
- You'll be expected to complete all exit counseling requirements before coming to a Drop-in meeting.
- You'll also need to begin completing a Loan Repayment Planning Worksheet (above) and bring it with you.
- This preparation will make your one-on-one meeting as productive as possible!
If you haven't done it yet, review the loan basics:
Financing Options - learn the basics about the loans you've borrowed.
Graduation or Leave-taking - learn about exit counseling and begin thinking about your repayment strategy.
Make the Most of Your Grace Periods
Servicers & Making Payments
Your loans are repaid to a "Servicer". Learn how and where to make your monthly loan payments in our Servicers & Making Payments section.
Loan Repayment Plans
The Federal Perkins Loan and all Brown Institutional Loans offer a 10-year repayment period and are paid in fixed monthly installments. The Federal Direct Stafford and PLUS Loans offer many different repayment plans designed to fit different needs and income levels. Learn more about Repayment Plans.
Postponing Loan Repayment
If you are having difficulty repaying your loans, don't give up! You need to take action & request help from your servicer. Learn about the options & the application process in our Deferment/Forbearance section.
Cancellation and Forgiveness
Certain circumstances might lead to your loans being forgiven, canceled, or discharged. View details in our Cancellation/Forgiveness section.
Medical Loan Repayment Resources
Medical students often face specific challenges when planning for loan repayment. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) offers dynamic online repayment tools and resources to help borrowers navigate those challenges.
Other Tips & Resources
- Use our Loan Repay Planning Worksheet along with the resources below.
- The Loan Repayment Chart provides basic information about each program.
- Check our Financial Literacy section to learn about managing your finances.