- Gene C. Fant Jr., "'What If I've Never Heard of This Place?' A 30-Minute Internet Search for Job Seekers"
This article suggests time-efficient ways to learn about a college or university.
- "Employer Profiles"
This site includes in-depth institutional profiles full of information for prospective candidates.
- Dennis Baron, "To Whom It May Concern: Reading Job Applications"
This article provides faculty perspective on reading cover letters and CVs.
- Mary Morris Heiberger & Julia Miller Vick, "How to Write Appealing Cover Letters"
This article contains useful advice about crafting cover letters. NB: It makes reference to the following three sample letters but does not actually link to them: Sample Cover Letter for an Advertised Position, Sample Cover Letter for a One-Year Position, and Sample Cover Letter When No Position Has Been Advertised.
- Carol Kolmerten, "What Small Colleges Really Want"
This article by a faculty member at a small college contains invaluable advice about how to tailor a cover letter to such an institution.
- Richard M. Reis, "The Basics of Cover Letter Writing"
- Clement Vincent , "The Rejection Letter I Wish I Could Send"
This article provides faculty perspective on common mistakes/flaws in cover letters and CVs.
- The CV Doctor (by Mary Morris Heiberger & Julia Miller Vick): 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010
In this series, experts offer guidance on improving academic CV's and revising résumés for nonacademic positions.
- Joshua R. Eyler, "The Rhetoric of the CV"
This article contains helpful advice about crafting an effective CV.
From Insider Higher Ed:
- Alain-Philippe Durand, "Keys to the Cover Letter"
This article addresses tailoring cover letters to job ads.
- Cheryl Reed and Dawn M. Formo "Pay Attention to the Job Ad"
This articles stresses the importance of reading job ads carefully.
- Tyro Tracts, “How to Handle In-Process Work”
This article addresses how to represent work-in-progress on your CV.
From University of California -- Berkeley's Career Center: