The Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning at Brown University is seeking experienced applicants for its newly created position of Assistant Director for Assessment and Evaluation.
The Assistant Director of Assessment and Evaluation (ADAE) will contribute to the advancement of teaching and learning, educational innovation and leadership by developing and implementing the assessment and evaluation of programs, curricula, and educational practices at the University. In addition to evaluating impact on student learning, and institutional measures of success in teaching and learning, the ADAE will also lead the analysis and evaluation of high impact practices including engaged scholarship, experiential learning, leadership training, peer-led team learning, peer mentorship and community of practice models. The ideal applicant will also be familiar with the application of learning analytics to assessment and evaluation practices. This is a full-time position.
This appointment of the Assistant Director of Assessment and Evaluation comes during an exciting time of transformation and innovation at the Center. The Center supports Brown University’s long-standing commitment to excellence in teaching, learning and leadership through a broad range of programs, services, activities, and resources for the professional development of the Brown teaching community. In that capacity the Center is involved with several new initiatives, including the Center’s recently established Laboratory for Educational Innovation (dedicated to the application of digital, online, and new media technologies for the enhancement of teaching and learning at Brown), the Association of American Universities STEM Grant (aimed at institutionalizing evidence-based teaching in STEM fields) and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute STEM Education Grant (targeted toward innovative, evidence-based transformations in introductory science classes to enhance STEM engagement and student retention). The ADAE will be a key participant in these collaborative initiatives, working closely with associated faculty, graduate students, staff, and administration to develop assessments and evaluations for these initiatives. The ADAE will also collaborate with stakeholders across campus, to help coordinate the university’s capacity to evaluate the impact of educational transformation initiatives, student learning in multiple learning environments (including online learning), and professional development training.
- M.A. or M.S. in social sciences, education, research/statistics, qualitative analysis, or a related field (PhD preferred).
- 2 – 5 years experience in postsecondary program and/or project evaluation.
- Experience in designing and implementing practices for direct and indirect measures of student learning in higher education (including ePortfolios).
- Demonstrated knowledge of qualitative research methods and design (including surveys, focus groups, interviews) and proficiency with qualitative data analysis and survey software.
- Knowledge of Institutional Review Board (IRB) protocols and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a number of stakeholders, including administrators, academic units, faculty, graduate students, and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development in pedagogy in higher education.
- Ability to work collaboratively on multi-disciplinary and multi-functional project teams.
- Ability to work closely with faculty across disciplines.
- Motivated, independent, and creative thinker.
- High level of organization, unwavering attention to detail, and strong commitment to meeting deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with and experience in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Familiarity with learning analytics.
- Sensitivity to teaching and learning needs at a major research university.
- Experience working with a teaching and learning center.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in learning assessment.
- Visit Brown University’s career opportunities website at https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/job/Lippitt-House/Sheridan-Center--Assistant-Director-for-Assessment-and-Evaluation_REQ114821-5
- Reference Job #114821
- Upload the following materials: CV, cover letter.
- Review of applications will begin on October 15th and will continue until a suitable candidate is selected.
- For questions, contact Kathy_Takayama@brown.edu
To learn more about the Sheridan Center, please see:
Brown University is an EEO/Affirmative Actions Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran.