Sheridan Teaching Seminar - Reflective Teaching
In Certificate I, members of the Brown teaching community learn to reflect on their teaching by identifying and exploring their own practices and beliefs about teaching, and are thus able to improve the learning of their students and their own experiences as teachers. Participants develop and refine fundamental teaching and assessment strategies and communication skills based on how students learn. Throughout the seminar, participants give and receive peer feedback,and interact with colleagues from a variety of disciplines.
The program is organized into five modules, each of which contains a lecture and a hands-on workshop. The topics of these modules are:
- Reflections on Teaching and Learning
- Developing Student Learning Goals: Course & Syllabus Design
- How Students Learn
- Grading and Evaluation: Measuring Your Students' Learning
- Rhetorical Practice: Teaching as Persuasive Communication
The fifth module contains a micro-teaching opportunity for participants to present a five-minute introduction to a topic of their choice and receive feedback on their communication practices.
Each program participant also completes a Teaching Observation. The Teaching Observation allows participants to reflect on their students’ learning experience and to gain constructive feedback from the Sheridan Center’s trained Teaching Consultants on achieving their individual teaching goals.
Upon completing the Certificate I program, participants will be able to:
- reflect on their teaching;
- articulate learning goals, and describe how they can be used in course & syllabus planning;
- apply what we know about how people learn in their teaching and assessment strategies;
- recognize a variety of assessment approaches and their alignment with course learning goals;
- reflect on the rhetorical choices they make as a teacher.
- Completion of all five Modules. Each Module includes:
- background readings
- a lecture
- an assignment
- a workshop
- a written reflection
- Participation in a Teaching Observation
- Submission of a Final Program Evaluation
NB: All requirements must be completed within the course of a single academic year.