The Brown onCall service is available to all Brown community members without pre-registration for point-to-point transportation from 7:00 pm - 3:00 am DST (March 8, 2015 - November 1, 2015) and 5:00 pm – 3:00 am EST within the onCall coverage area (see map below).
- Brown onCall is available to faculty, students and staff with a valid Brown ID and on a space available basis, including one guest.
- Service is point-to-point anywhere in the onCall coverage area. However, members of the community should continue to utilize the Brown Evening Shuttle for travel between all on-campus destinations on that fixed-route.
- Community members traveling late at night should plan accordingly to ensure they can get to their final destination before the onCall service ends at 3:00 am. The last call is taken at 2:45 am. Increased utilization of the service by the community could lead to increased wait times.
- Keep in mind that onCall is intended to promote a safe and secure campus environment for Brown community members. It is not a taxi service and should not be used as such.
- Rhode Island, Hasbro, Women and Infants, and Miriam Hospitals are all including in the onCall coverage area.
Request a ride
No pre-registration is required. To request a ride, either call (401) 863-1778 or visit http://shuttle.brown.edu/. Be sure to have your Brown ID available when the shuttle arrives. When requesting a pickup, please have the following items available:
- Brown ID number (not the banner number)
- Cell phone number
- Pick up and drop off location
- When requesting a ride via phone or online, you must provide your Brown ID number. If you have a guest, you must request their ride at the same time.
- When requesting a ride online, please check the box to receive a text message with an approximate time when the vehicle will arrive. If you DO NOT wish to receive a text, DO NOT check the box and you will receive a call back from the dispatcher.
- When you call for a ride, you will be asked if you want a text message or a call back with an estimate as to when you will be picked up. Wait times are generally 10 – 15 minutes, but this may vary depending on weather conditions, traffic, and call volume at a particular time.
- You are responsible for being at the designated pickup point when the vehicle arrives.
- If you decide not to use onCall after you have reserved a ride, please select the cancel ride request option online, or call back to cancel the request.
- If you abuse the service by repeatedly calling for a ride and failing to be at the pickup point, you may be denied future service.
You may bring one guest with you under these conditions:
- You are a Brown Faculty, Staff or student in possession of a Brown ID.
- You may request the ride for your guest only at the time you make your reservation, not at the time of pickup.
- The guest must present a valid photo ID to shuttle driver.
- You accompany your guest on the ride.