Brown onCall arranges rides for Brown ID holders from a Brown University campus building to a rider’s registered off-campus residence within the Brown onCall coverage area, or vice versa.
Brown onCall serves:
- Brown students, faculty, and staff who live off-campus within the onCall coverage area and who do not live directly on the Brown Campus Shuttle route (see Ineligible Addresses).
- Brown students, faculty, and staff who have off-campus volunteer commitments within the onCall coverage area located at an approved Brown building, or affiliated hospital during onCall hours of operation (prior proof of commitment and approval are required).
- Brown students, faculty, and staff who live either on or off-campus within the onCall coverage area who work or do research at 70 Ship Street, 110 Elm Street, 222 Richmond Street, One Davol Square, or Trinity Theater (prior proof of employment, research, or study at these addresses is required).
Brown community members who reside beyond the coverage area are not eligible to use onCall and will not be dropped off at the area boundary.
Register online or call 401-863-1778 during onCall service hours. Registration takes about one minute.
You must provide:
- Your full name
- Your Brown ID number (not the banner number)
- Home or cell phone number
- Home address
- Graduation year or affiliation
- Campus box number (if applicable)
- Current email address
This information will be verified with the University. Make sure that your correct off-campus address is on file with the Registrar and Student Life offices.
After registering online or via phone, you may immediately request a ride provided that your request is made during the operating hours of the onCall service.
If you live at one of these addresses, you are not eligible to use OnCall because you live on the Brown Campus Shuttle route.
- When requesting a ride via phone or online, you must provide your Brown ID number.
- You will receive an estimate as to when you will be picked up. Wait times are generally 10 – 15 minutes, but this may vary depending on weather conditions, traffic, and call volume at a particular time.
- The dispatcher will ask for a phone number where you can be reached in order to alert you that the onCall vehicle is close to you. The dispatcher can call your cell phone, even if it is a long-distance call. If you do not provide a phone number, you may call again for an updated arrival time.
- You are responsible for being at the designated pickup point when the vehicle arrives. The vehicle will not honk its horn nor wait for you if you are not at the pickup point when the vehicle arrives.
- If you do not provide a cell phone or call back number, we advise that you wait at the pickup point from the time you call until the vehicle arrives so that you do not lose your ride.
- If you decide not to use onCall after you have reserved a ride, please select the cancel ride request option on line, or call back to cancel the request.
- If you abuse the service by repeatedly calling for a ride and failing to be at the pickup point, you may be denied future service.
- If you request a ride via phone or online before 2:45 am, you are guaranteed a ride home.
You may bring one unregistered guest with you under these conditions:
- You must be a registered onCall rider.
- You, the registered rider, must request a ride for a guest.
- You may request the ride for your guest only at the time you make your reservation, not at the time of pickup.
- Transport must be from the Brown campus to your home address (registered with the dispatcher) or vice versa.
- The guest must present a valid photo ID, which will be checked and logged by the onCall driver.
- You must accompany your guest on the ride.
By registering with the onCall service, you are agreeing to abide by these policies. If you or your guests violate these policies, you will be denied service.