Email from: Margaret Klawunn
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012
I am writing to provide information regarding Hurricane Sandy, which is currently projected to affect Rhode Island between Sunday night, October 28 and Wednesday, October 31. We have been monitoring the storm’s development closely over the past few days, and will continue to do so. Although it is still too early to have any degree of certainty about the hurricane’s track and intensity when it reaches New England, this is a significant hurricane and we can anticipate storm impact, including heavy rainfall, high winds, and flooding in our area.
The University has a well-established Hurricane Plan that we encourage all members of the community to review at: http://www.brown.edu/Administration/EHS/. The Core Crisis team convened today to review the plan, the latest forecasts, and preparedness efforts underway in Facilities Management, Dining Services, Residential Life, and other departments. In addition to reviewing the Hurricane Plan, which includes information about Family Preparedness that is especially useful for students living off-campus to review regarding steps you should take now to ensure your own personal home preparedness, we encourage all community members to take the following steps:
- Pay close attention to news and forecasts regarding Hurricane Sandy over the next several days, especially if you have travel plans. Information the University community needs to be aware of will be communicated via e-mail, on the home page (www.brown.edu), and, in the unlikely event of urgent emergency information, via the BrownAlert emergency notification system (http://brown.edu/Administration/EHS/emergency_preparedness/MIR3.html). In making plans for the weekend, be prepared to be flexible and, in particular, able to seek shelter indoors during periods of heavy rain and high winds.
- If you have not already done so, make certain your emergency contact information - personal cell phone and home or off-campus housing telephone numbers - is up to date so that we can contact you as quickly as possible in the event of an emergency. Phone numbers can be added, updated, or changed by going to the MyAccount page at www.brown.edu/myaccount.
- If you are planning to travel away from campus later this weekend or early next week, please make sure a family member, roommate, or friend is aware of your itinerary, expected return, and how to reach you.
- In advance of the storm, please ensure that all windows in your residence hall room or off-campus housing, including storm windows, are completely closed and locked to protect against damage from possible water intrusion. Relocate valuable property away from windows, where possible elevate boxes/equipment that are stored on the floor, and notify Facilities Management at 863-7800 as soon as possible if there are any deficiencies that prevent windows and or exterior doors from properly closing and securing.
- Forecasts anticipate very rough surf, beach erosion, and the high risk of dangerous rip currents throughout the Southern New England coast beginning this weekend through much of next week. Be very cautious if your plans involve travel to Rhode Island or Southeastern Massachusetts beaches.
I want to remind you of important phone numbers for emergency situations:
- Department of Public Safety, 863-4111;
- Brown Emergency Medical Services, 863-4111;
- Administrator-on-call, 863-3322.
We will provide updates and new information as necessary over the coming days.
Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services