- An AP score of 4 or 5 (or equivalent IB or A-Level) earns automatic exemption from BIOL 0200.
- If you have strong preparation in biology, you can earn exemption from BIOL 0200 by taking Brown's placement exam offered during Orientation.
- Even with qualifying AP scores, you must take at least two college-level biology courses with laboratory.
- CHEM 0330: place into this course with AP score of 4-5, OR by passing Brown's summer on-line placement exam, OR by completing CHEM 0100.
- CHEM 0100 is an entry-level course for students with limited high school preparation. It does not include a lab and so does not count toward the four courses in chemistry medical schools require.
- Brown University does not accept AP chemistry scores for transcript notation.
- AB Calculus 4 or 5: earns credit for MATH 0090
- BC Calculus 4 or 5: earns credit for both MATH 0090 and MATH 0100
- BC Calculus 3 earns credit for MATH 0090
- If you have no AP scores in math, take the Math placement exam during Orientation.
- Even with AP credit of Math 0090 and MATH 0100, take at least one semester of college-level mathematics appropriate for your level of preparation.
- Without AP scores, all non-Physics concentrators start with PHYS 0030.
- With AP Physics: 5 in Physics C (Mechanics exam 2), OR 4 in Physics C (Mechanics exam 2) PLUS 5 in Physics C (Electricity and Magnetism exam 3), or 5 in Physics B. Students with these scores who then successfully complete PHYS 0040, 0060, 0160, 0470, 0500, or an appropriate 1000-level physics course may receive credit for Physics 0030.
- NOTE: While these are the requirements for earning AP credit, they are not necessarily required for placement in a Physics course
- Students considering skipping PHYS 0030, 0050, or 0070 should consult with the Physics Department's Placement Coordinator
Brown does not accept AP credit in English. You should therefore plan on taking at least two semesters of English.
Brown does not accept AP credit for Statistics.
For further information on each of these subjects as pre-med requirements, consult the list of recommended courses.
NOTE: Students who wish to have AP credit notations reflected on their academic record must seek these notations and ensure receipt of all required documentation well before they graduate. The official academic record of all graduating students is sealed upon Commencement to reflect what was in effect upon degree completion. No transcript notations of AP credit--or of any other credit--will be made post-Commencement.
Consult the Dean of the College website for all details about AP credit transcript notations.