The Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States offers annual grants that enable American students to pursue graduate work in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences at the University of Cambridge as residents of Churchill College, Cambridge.
The Churchill Scholarship leads to either the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or the Master of Advanced Study (MASt), depending on the field, The MPhil in most instances is a research degree, while the MASt involves courses and research.
Brown is one of a select cohort of American colleges or universities invited each year to nominate two candidates to compete for fourteen Churchill Scholarships. Eligible applicants must be U.S. citizens currently enrolled at Brown or recently graduated; they must be between 19 and 26 years of age and hold a bachelors degree by the time they begin their scholarship year.
The selection criteria include exceptional academic talent and achievement and a capacity to contribute to an advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level. Applicants should have research experience in a laboratory or with independent work or other projects. The foundation also looks for applicants with what they call interesting “jagged edges,” by which they mean some level of engagement with other types of pursuits in addition to their science, math, or engineering involvements.
Churchill applicants need to determine exactly what course of study or kind of research they intend to pursue at Cambridge. Churchill scholars are not confined to Churchill College for supervision, but can study under any faculty member at Cambridge. See the Churchill Fellowship Guide to programs at Cambridge.
The award provides payment of all university and college tuition and fees at Cambridge, a maintenance allowance, and a travel allowance plus reimbursement of applications fees for the UK visa. Additional financial support is available for married students whose spouses accompany them. In all, the Churchill Scholarship is worth between $45,000 and $50,000 depending on the program of study and prevailing rates of exchange.
Fellowships in the U.K. and Ireland - A Guide for Students
All applicants must submit a complete application to the Dean of the College Office by the campus deadline of October 16, 2015 by 4:30pm EST.
• The Churchill application form which can be found on the Foundations website
• Proposed Program of Study
• Personal Statement
• Four (4) letters of reference (from the candidate's field of study)
• A letter of interest or commitment from a director of a laboratory at Cambridge, if available and if relevant
• One (1) official transcript from each institution you have attended
Applicants from the class of 2015 will apply through UFunds, Brown's online application system. The UFunds online application for the Churchill Scholarship will be available September 2015
INSTRUCTIONS for Applicants from the CLASS of 2016
- UPLOAD your completed application from the Churchill site. Save a PDF of the application and upload it to UFunds, Brown's online application system.
- UPLOAD a PDF of your Proposed Program of Study to UFunds
- UPLOAD a PDF of our Personal Statement to UFunds
- REGISTER our Referees on UFunds, Brown's online application system. Once you do so, the system will send a request for a reference with login information to the person registered. The referees are then responsible for uploading their references to UFunds by the campus deadline of October 23, 2015.
- UPLOAD a letter of interest or commitment if available and relevant to UFunds.
- SEND hard copies of your official Brown University Transcript and, if applicable, transcripts from other institutions you have attended (both domestically and abroad) to Linda Sutherland. If you have studies abroad for an entire year, then you need to supply the transcript from that school.
Please note that when you order transcripts for the Churchill, you need to have them addressed to Linda Sutherland, Dean of the College Office, Campus Box 1828. The transcript will be sent directly to Linda in our office. We do not accept e-transcripts from Brown University.
INSTRUCTIONS for Applicants from the CLASS OF 2015
As UFunds will not accommodate applicants who have graduated, those who have graduated in 2015 will need to submit their materials as instructed below.
• SEND via email your completed application to Linda_Sutherland@brown.edu. You can save a PDF of the application to send as an email attachment.
• SEND via email your Proposed Program of Study (can be in WORD)
• SEND via email the Personal Statement (can be in word)
- INSTRUCT YOUR THREE REFEREES to email their letters to Linda_Sutherland@brown.edu or send them to her mailing address below
- SEND a letter of interest or commitment if available and relevant.
- SEND hard copies of your official Brown University Transcript and, if applicable, transcripts from other institutions you have attended (both domestically and abroad), to Linda Sutherland. If you have studied abroad for an entire year, then you need to supply the transcript from that school.
Please note that when you order transcripts for the Churchill, you need to have them addressed to: Linda Sutherland, Dean of the College Office, Campus Box 1828. The transcript will be sent directly to Linda in our office. We do not accept e-transcripts from Brown University.
University Hall, Suite 213
1 Prospect Street, Box 1828
Providence, RI 02912
All applicants will be notified of nominations in early November.
- William Allen, '12