At a Glance
Brown offers students with strong Spanish language skills the opportunity to directly enroll in a special semester program of study at the University of Granada's Faculty of Translation and Interpretation, commonly referred to as "Traductores." Traductores offers the largest array of linguistic offerings of any university in Spain and is renowned for its rigor in preparing students to translate and interpret at a professional level. Serious students of language have an opportunity to immerse themselves in specialized courses that will significantly improve their language communication skills and give them a competitive advantage for career positions that require highly-honed second language proficiency.
Upon arrival, students participate in a two-week customized course at the University of Granada's Center for Modern Languages (CLM), which prepares them for the challenges of undertaking academic study in a university system and academic culture entirely different to those which they have experienced at their home institution. Students then begin their coursework at Traductores, enrolling in a load equivalent to 30 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits or 4 Brown credits. Examples of courses include:
- Spanish Language (for High Advanced/Native Speakers)
- Theory and Practice in Translation (Traductología)
- Culture of Spanish Language
- Spanish-English-Spanish Translation
- Spanish-English-Spanish Interpretation
- Specialized English-Spanish Translation
- Careers in Translation and Interpretation
- Interpretation in the Public Sector
- Interpretation in Commerce and Tourism
- Translation in Science and Technology
- Computer Technology Tools for Translation and Interpretation
At the beginning of each term, the program assigns academic tutors to guide and assist students in their studies throughout the semester.
Approximate dates are provided based on past programs; students should expect them to vary by year. Please refer to the 2015/16 program calendar for more specific information about program dates.
- Fall term: end of August to late January
- Spring term: late January to early July
Students are placed with carefully selected host families.
Brown appointed on-site staff assist students upon arrival and throughout their stay in Granada.
Given the advanced language level required for this program, students who are interested should meet with the faculty advisor from the Department of Hispanic Studies at Brown to discuss further.
Apply by the deadline using Brown's online application system via the "apply now" and "return to application" buttons on the right side of this page. Applications typically require faculty recommendations so it is important to begin the process early.