Welcome! We are pleased that you are considering study abroad. Here’s the general gist of how to plan for the process:
Step 1 - Explore.
- Browse the OIP website and become familiar with the options – review the "key questions" worksheet to guide you through the many options and variables.
- Attend OIP information sessions and the fall study abroad fair.
Step 2 - Define your experience.
- Determine when you want to study abroad - you can choose from year, semester and summer programs.
- Prioritize locations that are important to you, and make sure you meet the pre-requisites (i.e. language requirements) for study in that country.
- Start narrowing down programs and meet with a study abroad advisor.
Step 3 - Make it happen.
- Familiarize yourself with relevant dates and deadlines for your program(s) of interest.
- Meet with your concentration advisor to ensure that you are able to fulfill academic requirements.
- Talk to your family about study abroad; keep parents and other supporters informed.
Step 4 - Go Abroad.
- Accept a spot on a program.
- Follow the post-acceptance process provided by the OIP.
- Pack your bags!
You should visit the OIP resource library, contact us with questions, and meet peer advisors who are Brown students that have already studied abroad.