The TRI-Lab Program is an initiative that brings together students, faculty, and community practitioners to engage with complex social issues and collaboratively develop, refine, and test solutions to these issues. Topics are selected based on faculty research priorities, student interest, and community need. Lab participants work together to inquire and learn, conduct research, and create positive social impact in Providence and Rhode Island.
The heart of each Lab is a seminar in which participants explore the framework and context of an issue and harness their multiple perspectives towards creative solutions.
- Launching this spring 2016, the new Designing Education for Better Prisoner and Community Health TRI-Lab will examine the question: "What opportunities are there to provide a better education for incarcerated individuals and the marginalized, under-resourced communities from which the vast majority come and to which virtually all will return, especially around health issues?" TRI-Lab will examine this question by working to design better resources for health education both within the criminal justice system and in community settings that support former prisoners in the community. Applications for the Spring 2016 course will be available soon!
- The Climate Change and Environmental Justice Lab began in Spring 2015 to investigate impacts of climate change on vulnerable communities in Rhode Island. This Lab will continue into Fall 2015.
- The Healthy Food Access Lab launched in Fall 2014 and focused on approaches to reducing food insecurity.
- The Healthy Early Childhood Development Lab launched in Fall 2013, and research projects developed in the Lab continued through Spring 2015 are currently implementing projects they developed during the seminar.
In the News
- R.I. Public Schools turn to charter for help teaching 2 languages at once, Providence Journal. September 16, 2015.
- Number of TRI-Lab Applications Holds Steady, Brown Daily Herald, October 30, 2014.
- Adele Diamond shares her vision of healthy early childhood development, Converge Rhode Island, October 6, 2014.
- TRI-Lab announces next steps at open house, News from Brown, February 28, 2014.
- TRI-Lab launch brings awareness to social issues, Brown Daily Herald, April 4, 2013.
- A video of the TRI-Lab Launch featuring remarks by Brown University President Christina Paxson. April 3, 2013.