The TRI-Lab Program is an initiative that brings together students, faculty, and community practitioners to engage with complex social issues and collaboratively develop, refine, and test solutions to these issues. Topics are selected based on faculty research priorities, student interest, and community need. Lab participants work together to inquire and learn, conduct research, and create positive social impact in Providence and Rhode Island.
The heart of each Lab is a seminar in which participants explore the framework and context of an issue and harness their multiple perspectives towards creative solutions.
Current and past TRI-Labs include:
- The Healthy Food Access Lab launched in Fall 2014 and focused on approaches to reducing food insecurity.
- The Climate Change and Environmental Justice Lab began in will begin in Spring 2015 to investigate impacts of climate change on vulnerable communities in Rhode Island. This Lab will continue into Fall 2015.
- The Healthy Early Childhood Development Lab launched in Fall 2013, and research projects developed in the Lab continued through Spring 2015 are currently implementing projects they developed during the seminar.
- A TRI-Lab focused on issues of incarceration, race, criminal justice, and health will be launched in Spring 2016 The planning effort will be led by Brad Brockmann, Executive Director of The Center for Prisoner Health and Human Rights.
TRI-Lab in the News
- Number of TRI-Lab Applications Holds Steady, Brown Daily Herald, October 30, 2014.
- Adele Diamond shares her vision of healthy early childhood development, Converge Rhode Island, October 6, 2014.
- TRI-Lab hosts symposium on early childhood development, Brown University News, October 3, 2014
- Brown's New TRI-Lab Community Initiative Will Begin with RI Kids, Go Local Prov, April 5, 2013.
- TRI-Lab launch brings awareness to social issues, Brown Daily Herald, April 4, 2013.
- Brown launches TRI-Lab community initiative, Brown University News, April 3, 2013.
- A video of the TRI-Lab Launch featuring remarks by Brown University President Christina Paxson. April 3, 2013.
- Lab's research a community effort, Providence Business News, March 24, 2014.
- TRI-Lab announces next steps at open house, News from Brown, February 28, 2014.
- Social venture ideas spotlighted at Ashoka U Exchange, Brown Daily Herald, February 24, 2014 (TRI-Lab hosted an Ashoka U site visit, and the photo featured in the article is TRI-Lab's office at 10 Davol.)
- TRI-Lab Pilot Project Explores Human Development, Brown Daily Herald, December 2, 2013.
If you have questions or would like to speak to someone about TRI-Lab, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.