The TRI-Lab Program is an initiative that brings together students, faculty, and community practitioners to engage with complex social issues and collaboratively develop, refine, and test solutions to these issues. Topics are selected based on faculty research priorities, student interest, and community need. Lab participants work together to inquire and learn, conduct research, and create positive social impact in Providence and Rhode Island.
The heart of each Lab is a seminar in which participants explore the framework and context of an issue and harness their multiple perspectives towards creative solutions.
Read stories by TRI-Lab participants on Swearer Sparks, an online platform for stories about social change at Brown University.
- Launching this spring 2016, the new Designing Education for Better Prisoner and Community Health TRI-Lab will examine the question: "What opportunities are there to provide a better education for incarcerated individuals, especially around health issues?" This TRI-Lab will work to design better resources for health education both within the criminal justice system and in community settings that support former prisoners in the community. Read more in the Brown Daily Herald.
- The Climate Change and Environmental Justice Lab investigated impacts of climate change on vulnerable communities in Rhode Island. This Lab ran from Spring 2015 to Fall 2015. Read their story.
- The Healthy Food Access Lab launched in Fall 2014 and focused on approaches to reducing food insecurity.
- The Healthy Early Childhood Development Lab launched in Fall 2013, and research projects developed in the Lab continued through Spring 2015 are currently implementing projects they developed during the seminar.
In the News
- Helping Students Pursue Research with a Purpose. January 13, 2016.
- Fourth TRI-Lab sets sights on improving prisoner health, Brown Daily Herald, November 13, 2015.
- R.I. Public Schools turn to charter for help teaching 2 languages at once, Providence Journal. September 16, 2015.
- Number of 80°-plus days rising steadily in RI, September 8, 2015.
- How Engaged Learning Can Invigorate Higher Education. By Alan Harlam. March 19, 2015.
- A video of the TRI-Lab Launch featuring remarks by Brown University President Christina Paxson. April 3, 2013.