Please complete the 5th-year MAT inquiry form.
As a Brown senior, you have the opportunity to apply to the MAT program in elementary education (grades 1-6) or secondary (grades 7-12) English, history/social studies, or science (biology, chemistry, or engineering/physics). You can apply up to two courses taken as an undergraduate toward your MAT degree. Please note: These courses cannot count toward both your concentration requirements AND your MAT degree. Under 1000-level courses cannot count towards your MAT degree.
In the elementary program, 1-2 of the following courses may be applied toward your MAT degree (with approval of MAT faculty director):
- Above 1000-level Education courses
- POBS 1720: Literacy, Culture, and Schooling for the Language Minority Student
- POBS 1740: Artful Teaching: Intersecting the Arts with Foreign and Second Language Acquisition
- POBS 2010A: Language Theory and Curriculum Development
- POBS 2020D: Theories in First and Second Language Acquisition
In the secondary program, 1-2 of the following courses may be applied toward your MAT year (with approval of MAT faculty director):
- EDUC 1450: The Psychology of Teaching and Learning
- Above 1000-level Education courses to fulfill MAT Education elective requirement
- Above 1000-level content-area courses to fulfill certification requirements (English, history/social studies, or science)
EDUC 0900 is a recommended course that will be valuable to you in your future teaching; however, it cannot be applied towards your MAT degree.
Prior to submitting an application for the 5th-year MAT program, please contact the appropriate faculty director:
Joan Gujarati – Joan_Gujarati@brown.edu (Elementary)
Laura Snyder – Laura_Snyder@brown.edu (English)
Magda Gross – Magda_Gross@brown.edu (History/Social Studies)
Dan Bisaccio – Daniel_Bisaccio@brown.edu (Science)
How to Apply
Applications are due to the Graduate School by January 15.
Your online application should include the following materials:
- Personal statement
- 5th-Year Master's Degree Supplement Form
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one should be from a Brown professor)
- Brown transcript
- SAT or ACT scores: Please email your scores to MATadmissions@brown.edu
- GRE scores (optional): The GREs are NOT required for 5th-year applicants. However, if you have taken the GREs, these scores can be submitted directly on the application in lieu of the SAT or ACT.
- Writing sample (English applicants only): Should be an academic paper or section of a paper and should not exceed 5 double-spaced pages.
Once you have submitted your application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with the appropriate faculty director.