ENGL 0130 S01 [CRN: 24583]For the confident writer. Offers students who have mastered the fundamentals of the critical essay an opportunity to acquire the skills to write a research essay, including formulation of a research problem, use of primary evidence, and techniques of documentation. Topics are drawn from literature, history, the social sciences, the arts, and the sciences. Enrollment limited to 17. Writing sample may be required. Banner registrations after classes begin require instructor approval. S/NC.
Additional Description from the Instructor:
This section of ENGL 130.01, the Science Research Essay, builds on Academic Essay I and is perfect for students of science and/or students interested in scientific discourse as part of a generalist education. It explores the myriad ways scientific ideas shape the way humans think and live. Students do research on chosen topics and write up their findings and opinions in various subgenres of scientific discourse. We emphasize creative research as well as graceful prose and use the essay as a means of inquiry. This course extends the work of basic and intermediate writing courses, complements the accrual of expertise in science courses, and helps prepare students for an important aspect of a scientific career: writing about one�s work.
- Assignments and Grading
- S/NC. Blogs in response to readings in advance of class. Three major research papers on topics of your choice.
- Readings and Texts
- Carl Zimmer, SOUL MADE FLESH: THE DISCOVERY OF THE BRAIN�AND HOW IT CHANGES THE WORLD (Free Press, 2004). Michio Kaku, ed., THE BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE WRITING FOR 2012 (HarperCollins,2012) Dan Airley, ed., THE BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE AND NATURE WRITING FOR 2012 (Houghton Mifflin, 2012) selected handouts
- Spring 2013
- Credit Hours
- Maximum Enrollment
- Primary Instructor
- 09:00 am - 10:20 am Tue, Thu - from Jan 23, 2013 to May 17, 2013
- Instructor's Additional Meeting Information
- individual conferences with the instructor on your essays
- Exam Group Code
- 08 (May 13, 2013 2:00pm)