- The Department is delighted to announce the addition of two new faculty members: Kristina Mendicino (starting Fall 2013) and Thomas Schestag (starting Spring 2014).
- Susan Bernstein has been awarded the 2013 John Rowe Workman Award for Faculty Excellence in Teaching in the Humanities.
- Dennis Johannssen has been accepted by the Graduate School as one of 9 students in this year's cohort of the prestigious Open Graduate Education Program. This will allow him to pursue an M.A. in Philosophy concurrently with his Ph.D. in German Studies.
- Zachary Sng has been awarded Curricular Development Grants from the Dean of College to create and teach 2 new courses in 2013-14: a seminar on Literature and Multilingualism and a First Year Seminar on German Film.
- Dirk Oschmann (U. of Leipzig) will join the German Department as Max Kade Distinguished Visiting Professor in Fall 2013.
- David Krell (DePaul University), will join the German Department as Brauer Distinguished Visiting Professor & Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Cogut Center for the Humanities in Fall 2013.