Skip to Navigation

Fulbright-Hays Program

The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to 12 months.

Projects deepen research knowledge on and help the nation develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in U.S. curricula. Projects focusing on Western Europe are not supported.

The program is funded primarily through an annual appropriation from Congress to the Department of State. Participating governments and host institutions also contribute through cost-sharing and indirect support, e.g., through salary supplements, tuition waivers, and university housing. Most grants require a commitment of one academic year, although in some cases advanced doctoral candidates and candidates in the creative and performing arts may submit requests for grants of not less than six months. Applications are considered from candidates in all fields.

Application requirements:

  • Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States;
  • Is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution;
  • Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation; and
  • Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.


Internal Deadline: TBD for 2015 (approximately the first week of June) 

External Deadline: TBD for 2015 (approximately the last week of June) 

Special Instructions: Brown students must apply through the University’s Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA), Associate Dean for Academic Affairs John Tyler. Applicants must collect all supporting documents, e.g., foreign language report, references, transcripts, etc., and submit them with the hard copy application to their campus FPA. Supporting documents must be received by the FPA in their original sealed envelopes with the signature or stamp of the individual or institution across the flap.

Application: The application is now available at