Robert Dowben, Ph.D.
Molecular Pharmacology, Physiology, and Biotechnology
Work: +1 401-863-7369
Robert Dowben does research on cell membrane proteins, muscle proteins and muscle diseases.
BiographyRobert Dowben is Adjunct Professor of Physiology, Brown University. A.B., Haverford College, 1946; M.S. (Biochemistry) 1947, and M.D., University of Chicago, 1949. Dr. Dowben has had faculty appointments at the University of Pennsylvania Medical S! chool, Northwestern University School of Medicine, jointly at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard Medical School, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, and Brown University. He is the author of more than 150 scientific articles and four books dealing mainly with cell membrane proteins, muscle proteins and muscle diseases. His most recent research deals with the hydrodynamic properties and protein interactions usiinig fluorescence resonance energy transfer and fluorescence polarization techniques. Dr. Dowben is an avid reader and enjoys music, sailing and helping his wife with gardening.
- Lin, Tsung-I, Mayadevi, M., and Dowben, R. M. Modulation of troponin-C binding to troponin-T by Ca2+, probed by fluorescence. J. Chinese Chem. Soc. 40, 607-619, 1993. (1993)
- Lin, T.-I, Kim, M. and Dowben, R. M.: Accessibility of thiols in actin -- A kinetic study with fluorescent maleimide probes. In, Sperelakis, N. and Wood, J.D., eds., Frontiers in Smooth Muscle Research, Prog. Clin. Biol. Res., 327, 771-778,! 1990. (1990)
- Bunting, J. R., Phan, T. V., Kamali, E. and Dowben, R. M.: Fluorescent cationic probes of' mitochondria: Metrics and mechanism of interaction. Biophys. J., 56, 979-993, 1989. (1989)
- Lin, T-I. and Dowben, R. M.: Studies on the spatial arrangement of muscle thin filament proteins using fluorescence energy transfer. J. Biol. Chem., 258, 5142-5150, 1983. (1983)
- Wegener, W. A., Koester, V. J. and Dowben, R. M.: A general ellipsoid cannot always serve as a model for the rotational diffusion properties of arbitrarily shaped rigid molecules. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 76, 6356-6360, 1979. (1979)
- Herbert, T. J., Weltman, J. K., Frackelton, A. R.,Jr., and Dowben, R. M.: Dielectric dispersion of actin. J. Meehan. Cell Motil., 4 ,79-85, 1977. (1977)