Peter Friedmann, MD, MPH
Professor of Medicine and Professor of Health Services, Policy & Practice
Medicine and Health Services, Policy & Practice
Work: +1 401-444-3347
1) Organization of treatment services, esp. linkage to comprehensive services.
2) Role of primary care in diagnosis and management of substance abuse
3) Integration of correctional and community services for addicted offenders.
2) Role of primary care in diagnosis and management of substance abuse
3) Integration of correctional and community services for addicted offenders.
Research DescriptionPeter D. Friedmann, M.D., M.P.H., Professor of Medicine & Community Health, is an established substance abuse health services researcher and addiction medicine physician who has published extensively on the organization of addiction treatment services, treatment process and outcomes, and the role of primary care physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of substance use disorders. As the principal investigator (PI) of the Rhode Island Research Center of the National Institute on Drug Abuse's (NIDA's) Criminal Justice Drug Abuse Treatment Studies, he was lead investigator of Step'n Out, a multisite, randomized clinical trial of collaborative behavioral management that integrated parole and outpatient addiction treatment for parolees. He currently chairs the workgroup for CJ-DATS' implementation study "Medication Assisted Treatment in Community Correctional Environments (MATICCE)." He is also site PI for a five-site trial of depot naltrexone for opioid-dependent ex-offenders. He also directs the "Center on System, Outcomes & Quality in Chronic Disease & Rehabilitation (SOQCR)" an HSR&D Research Enhancement Award Program at the Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC).
Grants and AwardsNew Investigator/Educator Award, Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse (AMERSA). 1999.
Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar Award, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. 2000-2004.
Mentor, Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA)-AMERSA-Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT)/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Interdisciplinary Program to Improve Health Professional Education in Substance Abuse. 2000-2004.
Finalist, Junior Investigator of the Year, Society of General Internal Medicine. 2001
Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, Brown Medical School. In recognition of exemplary teaching in Bio 301: Clerkship in Medicine, 2001
Best Workshop Award, PRIMECare: Promote Recovery in Medical Care. 25th Annual National Meeting of the Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse, 2001.
Guest Associate Editor, Journal of General Internal Medicine Special Issue-Substance Abuse: Innovations In Primary Care. May 2002;Volume 17, No. 5.
Semi-finalist, Best Abstract Award, "Maintenance care for alcohol problems in remission in primary care." 26th Annual National Meeting of AMERSA, 2002.
Bruce M. Selya Award for Research Excellence, Lifespan Hospitals, 2002.
Master of Arts ad eundem, Brown University, Providence, RI, May 23, 2003.
Mentor, American Society of Addiction Medicine Physician Clinical Support System (ASAM-PCSS), a SAMHSA-funded network to support physicians prescribing buprenorphine. 2005-
Fellow, American Society of Addiction Medicine. 2010.
Best Abstract Award, " Collaborative Behavioral Management reduces drug-related crime, substance use among drug-involved parolees." 34th Annual National Meeting of the Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse (AMERSA), November 4-6, 2010.
Fellow, American College of Physicians. 2012.
Board Member-Elect, American Board of Addiction Medicine & the ABAM Foundation, 2012-
AffiliationsAmerican College of Physicians. 1989-present.
Society of General Internal Medicine. 1989-present.
Substance Abuse Task Force. 1995-present.
Precourse Coordinator, "Reducing Substance Abuse in the Clinic and Community: The Role of Primary Care," 21st National Meeting. Chicago, IL. 1998.
Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse (AMERSA). 1995-present.
Program Committee, Abstract Selection Committee. 1997-.
Chair, Abstract Selection Committee 1998-2000.
Chair, Program Committee 2000-2002.
Immediate Past-President 2009-2011.
American Society of Addiction Medicine. 1995-present.
Buprenorphine Training Subcommittee, Medications Development Committee, 2001-.
Buprenorphine Trainer and Course Director, 2004-.
NIH Initial Review Group, Drug Abuse Health Services Research Subcommittee (NIDA-F). National Institute on Drug Abuse, Rockville, MD. Ad Hoc Member 2003-2004. Permanent Member, 2004-2007.
Associate Editor, Alcohol, Other Drugs and Health: Current Evidence. http://www.aodhealth.org. 2003-
Associate Editor, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. January 2009-
Funded Research"Emergent Care of Chicago's Older Persons: An Analysis of Prehospital Factors, Quality of Care, and Outcomes." Chicago Community Trust (12212) and the Retirement Research Foundation (95-122). $277,522. 9/1/1995-8/31/1997. Co-Principal Investigator.
"Linkages to Primary Care in Drug Treatment Programs." National Institute on Drug Abuse Mentored Clinical Scientist Career Development Award (K08 DA00320). $739,517. 9/1/1996-8/31/2001. Principal Investigator.
"Physicians' Attitudes and Practice Patterns around Substance Abuse." University of Chicago Home Health Care Research Program. $24,937. 6/1/1997-5/30/1998. Principal Investigator.
"Primary Care Relapse Prevention after Addiction Treatment." Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar Program, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. $240,000. 4/1/2000-3/31/03. Principal Investigator.
"Linkage to Health Services in Drug Abuse Treatment." National Institute on Drug Abuse (R01 DA13615). $600,000. 12/01/2000-08/31/2003. Principal Investigator.
"Trazodone for Sleep Disturbance - Early Alcohol Recovery." National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (R01 AA13243). $1,288,457. 09/15/2001-08/15/2006. Principal Investigator.
"Continuity of Care for Drug-Addicted Offenders in RI." National Institute on Drug Abuse (U01-DA016191). 09/25/02-08/31/07. Total costs: $3,193,418. Principal Investigator.
"The Drug Abuse Treatment System Survey." National Institute on Drug Abuse (R01-DA32727). 05/01/03-4/30/05. Subcontract direct costs $121,208. Co-Investigator.
"Program to Integrate Psychosocial & Health Services in Chronic Disease & Disability." Targeted Research Enhancement Program (TREP). Veterans' Health Administration Health Services Research & Development (HSR&D TRP 04-179). 09/01/04-08/31/07. Direct costs: $459,000. TREP Director at Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC).
"An Evaluation of Innovative Methods for Integrating Buprenorphine Opioid Abuse Treatment in HIV Primary Care Settings: Demonstration Model Site." Special Projects of National Significance (1H97HA03801-01-00). Health Resources and Services Administration, 09/01/04-08/31/09. Direct Costs. $230,319. Co-PI.
"Stabilize Addiction/Affect, Begin Inmates' Interferon for HCV of Liver (STAABIHL)" National Institute on Drug Abuse (1R01 DA023570) 09/30/07-08/31/10. Direct Costs. $542,971. PI.
"Center on Systems, Outcomes & Quality in Chronic Disease & Rehabilitation." Research Enhancement AWARD Program (TREP). Veterans' Affairs Health Services Research & Development (HSR&D REA 08-263). 10/01/08-09/30/12. Direct costs: $1,224,000. PI.
"Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone (2/6) Rhode Island Protocol Treatment Site. " National Institutes of Health/NIDA (1R01 DA024549). 10/01/2008-09/30/13. Direct costs: $1,226,411. PI
Supplement to "Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone (2/6) Rhode Island Protocol Treatment Site. " National Institutes of Health/NIDA (3R01DA024549 - 03S1). 10/01/2011-09/30/13. Direct costs: $77,570. PI
"Continuum of Care for Drug-Involved Offenders". National Institutes of Health/NIDA
(3U01 DA016191-06A1). 04/01/09-03/31/14. Total costs: $3,142,965. Principal Investigator of the Rhode Island Research Center of NIDA's multisite National Criminal Justice Drug Abuse
Treatment Studies-2 (see http://CJDATS2.org).
"Brief Alcohol Intervention to Reduce At-Risk Drinking Among Type 2 Diabetics"
National Institutes of Health/NIAAA (1R01AA017418-01A1). 04/01/09-03/30/14. Co-I.
"Sustaining Tobacco Abstinence after Incarceration" National Institutes of Health/NIDA (1R01 DA024093). 04/01/09-03/30/11. Co-I
"Testing a Comprehensive Model of the Diffusion of Evidence-Based Practices" National Institutes of Health/NIDA (1R01 DA030459). 02/01/2011-01/30/2013. Role: Co-I.
"Pilot Study of Depot Naltrexone for Alcohol, Dependent, Homeless Veterans" Veterans' Affairs/HSR&D (1I01 HX000444). 08/01/10-07/30/11. $100,000. PI
Supplement to "Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone (2/6) Rhode Island Protocol Treatment Site. " National Institutes of Health/NIDA (3R01DA024549 - 03S1). 10/01/2011-09/30/13. Direct costs: $1,226,411. PI
- Green TC, Johnson J, Harrington M, Pouget ER, Rhodes AG, Taxman FS, O'Connell DJ, Martin SS, Prendergast M, Friedmann PD. Parole officer-parolee relationships and HIV risk behaviors during community supervision. AIDS Behav. In Press. (IN PRESS)
- Li E, Greenberg PB, Tseng V, Caffrey AR, Woodmansee SB, Wu WC, Friedmann PD, LaPlante KL. In vitro coagulation effects of ophthalmic doses of bevacizumab. J Ocular Pharmacol Therap. In press. (IN PRESS)
- Green TC, Mann MR, Bowman SE, Zaller N, Soto X, Gadea J, Cordy C, Kelly P, Friedmann PD. How does use of a prescription monitoring program change medical practice? Pain Medicine. In Press. (IN PRESS)
- Taylor LE, Maynard MA, Friedmann PD, MacLeod CJ, Rich JD, Flanigan TP, Sylvestre DL. Buprenorphine for HIV/HCV coinfected patients: does it serve as a bridge to HCV therapy? J Addict Med. In Press. (2012)
- Calcaterra S, Blatchford P, Friedmann PD, Binswanger IA. Psychostimulant-related deaths among former inmates. J Addict Med. 2012; 6:97-105. (2012)
- Green TC, Pouget ER, Harrington M, Rhodes AG, O'Connell D, Martin SS, Prendergast M, Friedmann PD. Limiting options: Sex ratios, incarceration rates and sexual risk behavior among people on probation and parole. Sex Transmit Dis. 2012; 39(6); 424-30. (2012)
- Hunt JJ, Cupertino AP, Garrett S, Friedmann PD, Richter KP. How is tobacco treatment provided during drug treatment? J Subst Abuse Treat. 2012; 42(1):4-15. (2012)
- Rudes DS, Taxman FS, Portillo S, Murphy A, Rhodes A, Stitzer M, Luongo P, Friedmann PD. Adding positive reinforcements in justice settings: acceptability & feasibility. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2012; 42: 260270. (2012)
- Coviello DM, Cornish JW, Lynch KG, Boney T, Clark C, Lee JD, Friedmann PD, Nunes EV, Kinlock TW, Gordon MS, Schwartz RP, O'Brien CP. A multi-site pilot study of depot naltrexone treatment for opioid-dependent offenders. Substance Abuse 2012. 33:4859. (2012)
- Friedmann PD, Hoskinson R, Gordon M, Schwartz R, Kinlock T, Knight K, Flynn PM, Welsh WN, Stein LAR, Sacks S, O'Connell DJ, Knudsen HK, Shafer MS, Hall E, Frisman LK for the MAT Working Group of CJ-DATS. Medication-assisted treatment in criminal justice agencies affiliated with the Criminal Justice-Drug Abuse Treatment Studies (CJ-DATS): availability, barriers & intentions. Substance Abuse 2012. 33:918. PMCID: PMC3295578 (2012)
- McKenzie M, Zaller N, Dickman SL, Green TC, Parihk A, Friedmann PD, Rich JD. A randomized trial of methadone initiation prior to release from incarceration. Substance Abuse 2012. 33:1929. PMCID: PMC3278074. (2012)
- Wu WC, Trivedi A, Friedmann PD, Henderson WG, Smith TS, Poses RM, Uttley G, Vezeridis M, Eaton CB, Mor V. Association between hospital intraoperative blood transfusion practices for surgical blood loss and hospital surgical mortality rates. Ann Surg. Ann Surg. 2012;255(4):708-714. (2012)
- Friedmann PD, Green TC, Taxman FS, Harrington M, Rhodes AG, Katz E, O'Connell D, Martin SS, Frisman LK, Litt M, Burdon W, Clarke JG, Fletcher BW; for the Step'n Out Research Group of CJ-DATS. Collaborative behavioral management in parole and outpatient addiction treatment: drug use, crime and arrest outcomes in the Step'n Out study. Addiction. 2012; 107: 10991108. PMCID: PMC3321077. (2012)
- Richter KP, Hunt JJ, Cupertino AP, Garrett S, Friedmann PD. Understanding the drug treatment community's ambivalence towards tobacco use and treatment. Int J Drug Policy. 2012;23(3):220-8. (2012)
- Pirraglia P, Rowland E, Taveira T, Cohen L, Wu WC, Friedmann PD, O'Toole TP. The benefits of a primary care clinic co-located and integrated in the mental health setting for veterans with serious mental illness. Prevent Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: E51. PMCID: PMC3340211. (2012)
- Clarke JG, Martin RA, Stein LAR, Lopes C, Mello J, Friedmann PD, Bock BC. Working inside for smoking elimination (W.I.S.E.) study design and rationale to prevent return to smoking after release from a smoke free prison. BMC Public Health 2011;11: 767.PMCID: PMC3213245. (2011)
- Pirraglia PA, Kilbourne AM, Lai Z, Friedmann PD, O'Toole TP. Colocated General Medical Care and Preventable Hospital Admissions for Veterans with Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Services 2011. 62(5):554-557. (2011)
- Johnson JE, Friedmann PD, Green TC, Harrington M, Taxman FS. Gender and Treatment Response in the Step'n Out Study of Substance-Use Treatment Mandated Parolees. J Substance Abuse Treat. 2011; 40: 313-321. PMCID: PMC3056944. (2011)
- Greenberg PB, Tseng V, Liu J, Wu W-C, Jiang L, Scott IU, Friedmann PD. Prevalence and predictors of ocular complications associated with cataract surgery in United States veterans. Ophthalmology 2011. 118(3):507-514. (2011)
- Tseng VL, Greenberg PB, Wu WC, Jiang L, Kang JM, Scott IU, Friedmann PD. Cataract surgery complications in nonegenarians. Ophthalmology. 2011. 118(7):1229-35. (2011)
- Greenberg PB, Liu J, Wu WC, Jiang L, Tseng V, Scott IU, Friedmann PD. Predictors of mortality within 90 days of cataract surgery. Ophthalmol.2010; 117(10) 1894-1899. (2010)
- Stein M, Herman DS, Kettavong M, Cioe PA, Friedmann P, Tellioglu T, Anderson BJ. Antidepressant treatment does not improve buprenorphine retention among opioid-dependent persons. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2010;39(2):157-166. PMCID: PMC2910850. (2010)
- Taveira TH, Friedmann PD, Cohen LB, Dooley AG, Khatana SAM, Pirraglia P, Wu WC. Pharmacist-led group medical intervention in type II diabetes. Diabetes Educ. 2010;36(1):109-17. (2010)
- Ramsey SE, Engler PA, Harrington M, Smith RJ, Fagan MJ, Stein MD, Friedmann P. Brief alcohol intervention among at-risk drinkers with diabetes. Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment 2010; 4:1-8. PMCID: PMC2841352. (2010)
- Friedmann PD, Jiang L, Alexander JA. Top manager effects on buprenorphine adoption in outpatient substance abuse treatment programs. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2010;37(3): 322-37. (2010)
- Wu W-C, Smith TS, Henderson WG, Eaton CB, Poses RM, Uttley G, Mor V, Sharma SC, Vezeridis M; Khuri SF, Friedmann PD. Operative blood loss, blood transfusion and 30-day mortality in older patients after major noncardiac surgery. Ann Surg. 2010;252:11-17. (2010)
- Cioe P, Stein MD, Friedmann PD. Erectile dysfunction in opioid users: lack of association with serum testosterone. J Addict Dis. 2010; 29(4):455-460. PMCID: PMC2951625. (2010)
- O'Toole TP, Buckel L, Bourgault C, Blumen J, Redihan SG, Jiang L, Friedmann P. Applying the chronic care model to homeless veterans: effect of a population approach to primary care on utilization and clinical outcomes Am J Pub Health. 2010;100:2493-2499. (2010)
- Friedmann PD, Rhodes AG, Taxman FS, et al. Collaborative behavioral management: integration and intensification of parole and outpatient addiction treatment services in the Step'n Out study. J Exp Criminol. 2009; 5: 227-244. PMCID: PMC2786218. (2009)
- Caviness CM, Hatgis C, Anderson BJ, Rosengard C, Kiene SM, Friedmann PD, Stein MD. Three brief alcohol screens for detecting hazardous drinking in incarcerated women. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2009; 0(1):50-4. PMCID: PMC2629634. (2009)
- Gordon AJ, Fiellin DA, Friedmann PD, Gourevitch MN, Kraemer KL, Arnsten JH, Saitz R. Update in addiction medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 23(12):21126. PMCID: PMC2596507. (2009)
- Sacks S, Cleland CM, Melnick G, Flynn PM, Knight K, Friedmann PD, Prendergast ML, Coen C. Violent offenses associated with co-occurring substance use and mental health problems: evidence from CJDATS. Behavioral Sci Law. 2009;27(1):51-69. PMCID: PMC2761624. (2009)
- Stein MD, Anderson BJ, Caviness CM, Rosengard C, Kiene S, Friedmann P, Clarke JG. Relationship of alcohol use and sexual risk taking among hazardously drinking incarcerated women: an event-level analysis. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2009; 70: 508-515. PMCID: PMC2696291. (2009)
- Chuang E, Wells R, Alexander JA, Friedmann PD, Lee I-H. Factors associated with use of ASAM criteria and service provision in a national sample of outpatient substance abuse treatment units. J Addict Med. 2009; 3:139-150. (2009)
- Rhodes AG, Taxman FS, Friedmann PD, Cropsey KL. HCV in incarcerated populations: an analysis of gender and criminality on risk. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2008;40(4):493-501. PMID: 19283953. (2008)
- Zlotnick C, Clarke JG, Friedmann PD, et al.. Gender differences in comorbid disorders among offenders in a prison substance abuse treatment program. Behavioral Sci Law. 2008; 26:403-412. PMID: 18683199. (2008)
- Friedmann PD, Melnick G, Jiang L, Hamilton Z. Violent and disruptive behavior among drug-involved prisoners: relationship with psychiatric symptoms. Behav Sci Law. 2008; 26:389-401. PMCID: PMC2761621. (2008)
- Hebert MR, Clarke JG, Caviness CM, Ray MK, Friedmann PD, Stein MD. Feasibility of accessing women in jail for health interventions. Women Health. 2008 ;47 (3):79-93. PMID: 18714713 (2008)
- Hatgis C, Friedmann PD, Wiener M. Attributions of responsibility for addiction: the effects of gender and type of substance. Subst Use Misuse. 2008;43:700708. PMID: 18393084. (2008)
- Friedmann PD, Jiang L, Richter KP. Cigarette smoking cessation services in outpatient substance abuse treatment programs in the United States. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2008;34: 165 172. PMID: 17509809 (2008)
- Zhang Z, Friedmann PD, Gerstein DR. Patient satisfaction and sustained outcomes of drug abuse treatment. J Health Psychol.2008;13(3);388-400. PMCID: PMC2796692. (2008)
- Friedmann PD, Katz EC, Rhodes AG, Taxman FS, O'Connell DJ, Frisman LK, Burdon WM, Fletcher BW, Litt MD, Martin SS. Collaborative behavioral management for drug-involved parolees: Rationale and design of the Step'n Out Study. J Offender Rehabil. 2008; 47(3): 290318. PMCID: PMC2756716. (2008)
- Friedmann PD, Rose JS, Swift R, Stout R, Millman RP, Stein MD. Trazodone for sleep disturbance after alcohol detoxification. Alc Clin Exp Res. 2008; 32(9): 1652-1660. PMCID: PMC2567128. (2008)
- Wu WC, Schiffner T, Henderson W, Eaton CB, Poses RM Uttley G, Sharma SC, Vezeridis M, Khuri SF, Friedmann PD. Levels of preoperative hematocrit predict postoperative cardiovascular and fatal outcomes in elderly patients undergoing major non-cardiac surgery. JAMA. 2007;297:2481-2488. PMID: 17565082. (2007)
- Friedmann, PD, Taxman FS, Henderson CE. Evidence-based treatment practices for drug-involved adults in the criminal justice system. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2007;32:267-77. PMCID: PMC1885209. (2007)
- Sacks S, Melnick G, Coen C, Banks S, Friedmann PD, Grella C, Knight K. CJDATS Co-occurring Disorders Screening Instrument for Mental Disorders (CODSI-MD): a pilot study. The Prison Journal. 2007; 87 (1):86-110. PMCID: PMC3227556 (2007)
- Sacks S, Melnick G, Coen C, Banks S, Friedmann PD, Grella C, Knight K, Zlotnick. CJDATS Co-occurring Disorders Screening Instrument for Mental Disorders (CODSI-MD): a validation study. Criminal Justice and Behavior. 2007; 34 (9):1198-1215. PMCID: PMC3184768. (2007)
- Stein MD, Anderson BJ, Lassor J, Friedmann PD. Receipt of disability payments for substance users: mental and physical health correlates. Am J Addict. 2006; 15:160-165. PMID: 16595354. (2006)
- Friedmann PD, Rose J, Hayaki J, Ramsey S, Charuvastra A, Dubé C, Herman D, Stein MD. Training primary care clinicians in maintenance care for moderated alcohol use. J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21:1269-1275. PMCID: PMC1924751. (2006)
- Friedmann PD, Hendrickson J, Gerstein D, Zhang Z, Stein MD. Do mechanisms that link addiction treatment patients to primary care influence subsequent utilization of emergency and hospital care? Med Care. 2006: 44(1):8-15. PMID: 16365607. (2006)
- Friedmann PD, Alexander JA, Yey Y, Nahra T, Soliman S, Pollack H. Duration of outpatient nonmethadone treatment::results from a national survey. Substance Abuse. 2006; 27(3) 45-51. PMID: 17135180. (2006)
- Taveira TH, Wu WC, Martin OJ, Schleinitz MD, Friedmann P, Sharma SC. Pharmacist-led cardiac risk reduction model. Prevent Cardiol. 2006; 9: 202-208. PMID: 17085982. (2006)
- Christensen MH, Boisse N, Sanchez W, Friedmann PD. Teaching substance abuse screening, assessment and brief intervention to vocational rehabilitation counselors. Substance Abuse. 2005;26(3/4):59-62. PMID: 16837416. (2005)
- Stein MD, Friedmann PD. Disturbed sleep and its relation to alcohol use. Substance Abuse. 2005; 26(1):1-13. PMCID: PMC2775419. (2005)
- Rich JD, Boutwell AE, Shield DC, Key RG, McKenzie M, Clarke JG, Friedmann PD, Attitudes and practices regarding the use of methadone in state and federal prisons. J Urban Health. 2005 82(3):411-419. PMID: 15917502. (2005)
- Stein MD, Cioe P, Friedmann PD. Buprenorphine retention in primary care. J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 2(11): 1038-41. PMCID: PMC1490248. (2005)
- Charuvastra A, Friedmann PD, Stein MD. Physician attitudes regarding the prescription of medical marijuana. J Addict Dis 2005. 24(3):87-93. PMID: 16186085. (2005)
- Christensen MH, Boisse N, Sanchez W, Friedmann PD. Enhancing vocational rehabilitation counselors' substance abuse screening, assessment and intervention practices. J Vocational Rehab. 2004;21:157-163. (2004)
- Vassilev ZP, Strauss SM, Astone JM, Friedmann PD, Des Jarlais DC. Provision of on-site medical treatment to patients with hepatitis C in drug treatment units. J Health Care Poor Underserv 2004. 15(4): 663-671. PMID: 15531822. (2004)
- Lemon SC, Rakowski W, Clark MA, Roy J, Friedmann PD. Variations in influenza vaccination among the elderly. Am J Health Behav. 2004;28(4):352-360. PMID: 15228972. (2004)
- Friedmann PD, Hendrickson J, Gerstein DR, Zhang Z. Designated case managers as facilitators of medical and psychosocial service delivery in addiction treatment programs. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2004;31(1):86-97. PMID: 14722483. (2004)
- Friedmann PD, Hendrickson J, Zhang Z, Gerstein DR. The effect of matching comprehensive services to patients' needs on drug use improvement in addiction treatment. Addiction. 2004;99:962-972. PMCID: PMC2761625. (2004)
- Lemon SC, Clark MA, Roy J, Friedmann PD, Rakowski W. Classification and regression tree analysis in public health: Methodologic review and comparison with logistic regression. Ann Behav Med. 2003;26(3):172-181. PMID: 14644693. (2003)
- Lemon SC, Friedmann PD, Stein MD. Impact of smoking cessation on drug abuse treatment outcome. Addict Behav. 2003; 28(7):1323-1331. PMID: 12915172. (2003)
- Warner EA, Walker RM, Friedmann PD. Should informed consent be required for laboratory testing for drugs of abuse in medical settings? Am J Med. 2003; 115:54-58. PMID: 12867235. (2003)
- Kertesz S, Horton N, Friedmann PD, Saitz R, Samet JH. Slowing the revolving door: stabilization programs reduce homeless persons' substance use after detoxification. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2003; 24(3):197-207. PMID: 12810140. (2003)
- Zhang Z, Friedmann PD, Gerstein DR. Does retention matter? Treatment duration and improvement in drug use. Addiction. 2003; 98:673-684. PMID: 12751985. (2003)
- Friedmann PD, Lemon S, Stein MD, D'Aunno TA. Community referral sources and entry of treatment-naïve clients into outpatient addiction treatment. Am J Drug Alc Abuse. 2003; 29(1):105-115. PMID: 12731683. (2003)
- Friedmann PD, Lemon S, Durkin E, D'Aunno TD. Trends in comprehensive service availability in outpatient drug abuse treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2003; 24(1): 81-88. PMID: 12646334. (2003)
- Friedmann PD, Lemon S, Anderson BJ, Stein MD. Predictors of follow-up health status in the Drug Abuse Treatment Outcome Study (DATOS). Drug Alc Depend. 2003; 69(3):243-251. PMID: 12633910. (2003)
- Shah MN, Glushak C, Karrison TG, Mulliken R, Walter J, Friedmann PD, Cox Hayley D, Chin MH. Predictors of emergency medical service utilization by elders. Acad Emerg Med. 2003; 10:52-58. PMID: 12511315. (2003)
- Friedmann PD, Zhang Z, Hendrickson J, Stein MD, Gerstein DR. The effect of primary medical care on addiction and medical severity in substance abuse treatment programs. J Gen Intern Med. 2003;18:1-8. PMCID: PMC1494811. (2003)
- Friedmann PD, Herman DS, Freedman S, Lemon SC, Ramsey S, Stein MD. Treatment of sleep disturbance in alcohol recovery: A national survey of addiction medicine physicians. J Addict Dis. 2003; 22(2): 91-103. PMCID: PMC2761628. (2003)
- Friedmann PD, Lemon S, Stein MD, D'Aunno TA. Accessibility of addiction treatment: results from a national survey of outpatient substance abuse treatment organizations. Health Serv Res. 2003; 38(3): 887-903. PMCID: PMC1360921 (2003)
- Allen SA, Rich JD, Schwartzapfel B, Friedmann PD. Hepatitis C among offenders: correctional challenge and public health opportunity. Federal Probation. 2003; 67(2):22-26. (2003)
- Stein MD, Friedmann PD. Need for medical and psychosocial services among injection drug users: a comparative study of needle exchange and methadone maintenance. Am J Addict 2002; 11:262-270. PMID: 12584869. (2002)
- Saitz R, Friedmann PD, Sullivan LM, Winter MR, Lloyd-Travaglini C, Moskowitz MA, Samet JH. Professional satisfaction caring for substance-abusing patients: faculty and resident physician perspectives. J Gen Intern Med 2002; 17: 373-376. PMCID: PMC1495049 (2002)
- Ballard Lubelczyk RA, Friedmann PD, Lemon SC, Stein MD, Gerstein D. HIV prevention services in correctional drug treatment programs: do they change risk behaviors? AIDS Educ Prev 2002; 14(2):117-125. PMID: 12000230. (2002)
- Stein MD, Anderson B, Charuvastra A, Maksad J, Friedmann PD. A brief intervention for hazardous drinkers in a needle exchange program. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2002; 22:23-32. PMID: 11849904. (2002)
- Diaz JA, Griffith RA, Ng JJ, Reinert SE, Friedmann PD, Moulton AW. Patients' use of the internet for medical information. J Gen Intern Med 2002;17:180-185. PMCID: PMC1495021 (2002)
- Elliott L, Nerney M, Jones TE, Friedmann PD. Barriers to screening for domestic violence. J Gen Intern Med 2002;17:112-116. PMCID: PMC1495014. (2002)
- Stein MD, Anderson BJ, Charuvastra A, Sobota M, Friedmann PD. Alcohol and HIV risk taking among intravenous drug users. Addict Behav 2002; 27:727-736. (2002)
- McGarry KA, Stein MD, Clarke JG, Friedmann PD. Utilization of preventive health services by HIV-seronegative injection drug users. J Addict Dis 2002; 21:93-102. PMID: 11916375. (2002)
- Charuvastra A, Anderson BJ, Friedmann PD, Stein MD. Perceived addiction treatment needs among alcohol using injection drug users. J Addict Dis. 2002; 21:93-107. PMID: 12296505. (2002)
- Stein MD, Anderson BJ, Charuvastra A, Friedmann PD. Alcohol use and sexual risk taking among hazardously drinking drug injectors attending needle exchange. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001; 25:1487-93. PMID: 11696669. (2001)
- Friedmann PD, Lemon SC, Stein MD. Transportation and retention in outpatient drug abuse treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat 2001; 21: 97-103. PMCID: PMC1490248. (2001)
- Nerney MP, Chin MH, Jin L, Karrison TG, Walter J, Mulliken R, Miller A, Hayley DC, Friedmann PD. Factors associated with older patients' satisfaction with care in an inner-city emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2001; 38:140-145. PMID: 11468608. (2001)
- Gogineni A, Stein MD, Friedmann PD. Social relationships and intravenous drug use among methadone maintenance patients. Drug Alcohol Depend 2001; 64(1):47-53. PMID: 11470340. (2001)
- Friedmann PD, Lemon SC, Stein MD, Etheridge RM, D'Aunno TA. Linkage to medical services in the Drug Abuse Treatment Outcome Study (DATOS). Med Care 2001;39:284-295. PMID: 11242322. (2001)
- Friedmann PD, Mulliken R, Jin L, Karrison T, Cox Hayley D, Mulliken R, Walter J, Chin MH. Early revisit, hospitalization or death among older persons discharged from the emergency department. Am J Emerg Med 2001; 19(2):125-129. PMID: 11239256. (2001)
- Friedmann PD, McCullough DM, Saitz R. Screening and intervention for illicit drug abuse: A national survey of primary care physicians and psychiatrists. Arch Intern Med 2001; 161(2): 248-251. PMID: 11176739. (2001)
- Samet JH, Friedmann PD, Saitz R. Benefits of linking primary medical care and substance abuse services: patient, provider, and societal perspectives. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161: 85-91. PMID: 11146702. (2001)
- Friedmann PD, Saitz R, Gogineni A, Zhang JX, Stein MD. Validation of the Screening Strategy in the NIAAA "Physicians' Guide to Helping Patients with Alcohol Problems" J Stud Alcohol 2001; 62:234-238. PMID: 11332444. (2001)
- Friedmann PD, Alexander JA, Jin L, D'Aunno TA. Medical and psychosocial services in outpatient drug abuse treatment: do stronger linkages promote client utilization? Health Serv Res. 2000; 35(2): 443-465. PMID: 10857471. (2000)
- Friedmann PD, McCullough DM, Chin MH, Saitz R. Screening and intervention for alcohol problems: a national survey of primary care physicians and psychiatrists. J Gen Intern Med 2000;15(2): 84-91. PMCID: PMC1495340. (2000)
- Chin MH, Wang LC, Jin L, Mulliken R, Walter J, Cox Hayley D, Karrison TG, Nerney MP, Miller A, Friedmann PD. Appropriateness of medication selection for older persons in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 1999; 6: 1235-1242. PMID: 10609925. (1999)
- Friedmann PD, Jin L, Karrison T, Nerney M, Cox Hayley D, Mulliken R, Walter J, Miller A, Chin MH. The effect of alcohol abuse on the health status of older adults in the emergency department. Am J Alcohol Drug Abuse 1999;25 (3):529-542. PMID: 10473013. (1999)
- Friedmann PD, Alexander JA, Jin L, D'Aunno TA On-site primary care and mental health services in outpatient drug abuse treatment programs. J Behav Health Serv Res 1999; 26:80-94. PMID: 10069143. (1999)
- Chin MH, Jin L, Karrison TG, Mulliken R, Cox Hayley D, Walter J, Miller A, Friedmann PD. Older patients' health-related quality of life around an episode of emergency illness. Ann Emerg Med 1999; 34:595-603. PMID: 10533006. (1999)
- Friedmann PD, Alexander JA, D'Aunno TA. Organizational correlates of access to primary care and mental health services in drug abuse treatment units. J Subst Abuse Treat 1998;16:71-80. PMID: 9888124. (1998)
- Friedmann PD, Samore MH. Diagnostic characteristics of cerebrospinal fluid analysis for secondary meningitis in HIV-infected adults. J Investig Med 1998;46:153-160. PMID: 9635375. (1998)
- Friedmann PD, Saitz R, Samet JH. Management of the patient recovering from alcohol or other drug problems. Relapse prevention in primary care. JAMA 1998;279;1227-1231. PMID: 9555766. (1998)
- Chin MH, Friedmann PD, Cassel CK, Lang RM. Differences in generalist and specialist physicians' knowledge and use of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors for congestive heart failure. J Gen Intern Med 1997; 12:323-530. PMCID: PMC1497156. (1997)
- Woods KF, Karrison T, Koshy M, Patel A, Friedmann P, Cassel C. Hospital utilization patterns and costs for adult sickle cell patients in Illinois. Pub Health Rep 1997; 112:44-51. PMID: 9018288. (1997)
- Friedmann PD, Brett AS, Mayo-Smith MF. Differences in generalists' and cardiologists' perceptions of cardiovascular risk and the outcomes of preventive therapy in cardiovascular disease. Ann Intern Med 1996; 124:414-421. PMID: 8554250. (1996)