Pedro Luis Gozalo, PhD, MSc
Associate Professor of Community Health (Research)
Health Services, Policy and Practice
Work: +1 401-863-7795
Pedro Gozalo is an econometrician and health economist. Dr. Gozalo's research focuses on theoretical and methodological aspects of access to, and utilization of, long-term care services by older adults as well as on the effects of market and provider characteristics on utilization and patient outcomes.
Research DescriptionPedro Gozalo is an econometrician and health economist. Dr. Gozalo's research focuses on theoretical and methodological aspects of access to, and utilization of, long-term care services by older adults as well as on the effects of market and provider characteristics on utilization and patient outcomes. Dr. Gozalo currently leads a study funded by the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) that examines the effects of market and provider characteristics on access and selection of Medicare hospice benefit by nursing home residents. He has also conducted cost-effectiveness analyses in cancer clinical trials conducted under the supervision of the American College of Radiology Imaging Network.
Grants and AwardsAgency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Health Care Research Training Review Section.
Funded ResearchRECENT FUNDING
"Wage Mandates, Labor Turnover, and Nursing Home Quality," Co-Investigator (P.I. Vincent Mor), DHHS-NIA, $370,533, 4/1/2006-3/31/2009.
"Feeding Tube Use Among Persons with Advanced Dementia," Co-Investigator (P.I. Joan Teno), DHHS-NIA, R01 AG024265, 4/1/2005-3/31/2009.
"Market and Provider Effects on Hospice in Nursing Homes," Principal Investigator, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality R01 HS13355-01, $492,408, 10/01/2003-9/30/2006.
"Access to Medicare Hospice for Nursing Home Residents," Principal Investigator (Co-I. Andrew Foster and Susan Miller), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality R03 HS11457-01, $100,000, 7/2001-7/2002.
"The Impact of Prospective Payment on Nursing Home Care," Co-Investigator (P.I. David Gifford and Joe Angelleli), RWJF #039269, 6/2000-5/2002.
"The American College of Radiology Oncologic Imaging Network Grant," Co-Investigator (P.I. Bruce Hillman, M.D.), National Cancer Institute, 3/1/1999-12/31/2003.
"Nursing Home Care at the End of Life: Costs and Quality," Co-Investigator (P.I. Vincent Mor, Ph.D.), National Institute of Health HS10549, 10/1999-10/2001.
- Miller SC, Mor V, Wu N, Gozalo P, Lapane K. Does Receipt of Hospice Care in Nursing Homes Improve the Management of Pain at the End-of-Life? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2002; forthcoming. (2002)
- Miller SC, Gozalo P, Mor V. Hospice Enrollment and Hospitalization of Dying Nursing Home Patients, submitted for publication to The American Journal of Medicine. 2001; 111:38-44. (2001)
- Gozalo P, Linton O. Testing Additivity in Generalized Nonparametric Regression Models with Estimated Parameters. Journal of Econometrics. 2001; 104:1-48. (2001)
- Zinn J, Mor V, Gozalo P. Implementation of Medicare's Prospective Payment System for Skilled Nursing Facilities: Policy Implications. Advances in Health Care Management. 2000; 1: . (2000)
- Gozalo P, Linton O. Local Nonlinear Least Squares: Using Parametric Information in Nonparametric Regression. Journal of Econometrics. 2000; 99: 63-106. (2000)