Richard Millman, MD
Professor and Vice Chair of Medicine
Work: +1 401-444-2670
My research interests over the years have centered on obstructive sleep apnea. I am currently involved in several research studies regarding this disorder in diabetics, pregnant women and overweight individuals undergoing weight loss surgery. I am also interested in the impact of noise on sleep in hospital settings. In adddition I am involved in several projects involving drug abusers currently on methadone to keep them from using illicit drugs again. Our research involves the impact of lack of sleep on relapse rate.
BiographyI graduated form Yale University with a degree in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry. I then received my MD degree from the University of Pennsylvania. After completing my Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Michigan, I returned to the University of Pennsylvania for a fellowship in Pulmonary Medicine. I became interested in the field of Sleep Medicine there and was recruited to Brown in 1985 to start a clinical and research sleep program. I am currently the Director of the Sleep Disorders Center of Lifespan Hospitals. All three sites at Rhode Island Hospital, the Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital are accrediated by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. In 2008 I became the Vice Chairman for Operations. My research interests include obstructive sleep apnea, sleep in drug dependency states and sleep in hospital settings.
Research DescriptionI am the PI at the Brown site of a five center grant sponsored by NHLBI examining obstructive sleep apnea in overweight diabetics. This study has shown that an exceedingly large number of these subjects have unsuspected obstructive sleep apnea. We have been following these population for four years to date and are evaluating the impact of weight loss on the severity of sleep apnea in this population. I am also involved with research involving obstructive sleep apnea in obese indidviduals undergoing bariatric surgery. In conjunction with Drs Katherine Sharkey and Ghada Bourjeily we are beginning projects evaluating obstructive sleep apnea in pregnant women. I am also involved with Dr. Michael Stein on research involving methadone users. This NIH sponsored grant examines the impact of sleep loss on drug relapse. Subjects are radomized to either trazodone or placebo to see if improving sleep decreases relapse rate.
Grants and AwardsPhi Beta Kappa
Magna cum laude, Yale University
Master of Arts ad eundem, Brown University
AffiliationsFellow, American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Fellow, Americanc College of Chest Physicians
American Thoracic Society
Rhode Island Thoracic Society
Northeastern Sleep Society
Funded ResearchCo investigator, "A Phase 3, Open Label, Parallel-Group Study to Compare Two Dosing Algorithms for Preprandial Human Insulin Inhalation Powder (HIIP) in Insulin-Naïve Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Grant from Lilly (Protocol H7U-MC-IDAY).(2006-2007)
Co-investigator / Consultant, "Insomnia and Drug Relapse Risk" National Institutes of Health RFA-DA-05-004 (2005-2010).
Principal Investigator, Brown University site "The Effects of Weight Loss on Sleep Apnea Patients with Type II Diabetes" National Institutes of Health 2 RO1 HL070301-06 (2006-2009)
I am actively involved with teaching medical residents and pulmonary/critical care fellows pulmonary, sleep and critical care medicine. I am also involved with teaching sleep medicine to psychiatry residents, neurology residents and neurology electrophysiology fellows. Besides being a faculty member in the Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship at Brown I also a faculty member in the Neurology Electrophysiology program. In addition I am also the Program Director of the Sleep Fellowship at Brown.
- Aloia MS, Sweet LH, Jerskey BA, Zimmerman M, Arnedt JT, Millman RP. Treatment effects on brain activity during a working memory task in obstructive sleep apnea. J Sleep Res (in press) (IN PRESS)
- Foster GD, Borradaile KE, Sanders MH, Millman R et al. A randomized study on the effect of weight loss on obstructive sleep apnea among obese patients with Type 2 diabetes. Arch Intern Med 2009:169:1619-1626 (2009)
- Foster G, Sanders M, Millman R et al. Obstructive sleep apnea among obese patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009; 32:1017-1019 (2009)
- Sharkey KM, Kurth ME, Corso RP, Brower KJ, Millman RP, Stein MD. Home polysomnography in methadone maintenance patients with subjective sleep complaints. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 2009; 35:178-182 (2009)
- Kurth ME, Sharkey KM, Corso RP, Millman RP, Stein MD. Insomnia among methadone-maintained persons: The feasibility of collecting home PSG recordings. J Addictive Diseases 2009; 28:219-225 (2009)
- Aloia MS, Goodwin MS, Velicer WF, Arnedt JT, Zimmerman M, Millman RP. Time series analysis of treatment adherence patterns in individuals with obstructive sleep apnea. Ann Behavioral Med 2008; 36:44-53 (2008)
- Friedmann PD, Rose JS, Swift R, Stout RL, Millman RP, Stein MD. Trazodone for sleep disturbance after alcohol detoxification: A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2008; 32:1652-1660 (2008)
- Aloia MS, Smith K, Arnedt JT, Millman R et al. Brief behavioral therapies reduce early PAP discontinuation rates in SAS: Preliminary findings. Behav Sleep Med 2007; 5:89-104 (2007)
- Stanchina ML, Ellison K, Malhotra A, Anderson M, Kirk M, Benser ME, Tosi C, Carlisle C, Millman RP, Buxton A. The impact of cardiac resynchronization therapy on obstructive sleep apnea in heart failure patients. CHEST 2007; 132:433-439 (2007)
- Aloia MS, Arnedt JT, Stanchina M, Millman RP. Early establishment of adherence to PAP in obstructive sleep apnea: Revisiting night-to-night variability. Behav Sleep Med 2007; 5:229-240 (2007)
- Felver-Gant JJ, Bruce AM, Zimmerman M, Sweet LH, Millman RP, Aloia MS. Working memory in obstructive sleep apnea: construct validity and treatment effects. J Clin Sleep Med 2007; 3:589-594 (2007)
- Zimmerman ME; Arnedt JT, Stanchina M, Millman RP, Aloia MS. Normalization of memory performance and PAP adherence in memory-impaired patients with obstructive sleep apnea. CHEST 2006; 130:1771-1778 (2006)
- Stanchina ML, Abu-Hiljeh M, Chaudhry BK, Carlisle CC, Millman RP. The influence of white noise on sleep in subjects exposed to ICU noise. Sleep Medicine 2005; 6: 423-428 (2005)
- Aloia MS, Stanchina M, Arnedt JT, Malhotra A, Millman RP. Treatment adherence and outcomes in flexible versus standard continuous positive airway pressure therapy. CHEST 2005; 127: 2085-2093 (2005)
- Aloia MS, Arnedt JT, Smith L, Skrekas J, Stanchina M, Millman RP. Examining the construct of depression in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep Medicine 2005; 6:115-21 (2005)