Joel Weltman, MD, PHD
Clinical Professor Emeritus of Medicine
BiographyNew York University, B.A.
State University of New York (Downstate), M.D.
University of Colorado (Denver), Ph.D. (Microbiology/Immunology; thesis advisor, David W. Talmage).
Post-Doctoral Fellowships, Weizmann Institute (with Michael Sela) and Rockefeller University (with Gerald Edelman).
Research DescriptionFor examples of Python code used in this research click on this link:
Python entropy code
Grants and AwardsM.A., ad eundum, Brown University, 1972
Distinguished Teacher Award, Brown University School of Medicine, 2000, 2006.
Emeritus Award, Alpert/Brown University School of Medicine, 2006.
(1) Principal Investigator (1966-1969) NIH AI-07754 $93,700; Fluorescence Polarization Analysis of Immunoglobulins.
(2) Co-principal Investigator (1970-1973) NIH AM-13438 (RM Dowben, Principal Investigator) $162,000; Fluorescence Studies of Contractile Proteins.
(3) Principal Investigator (1974-1976) NCI-15261; $130,000; Galactosidase-Immunoassays for CEA.
(4) Principal Investigator (1979-1981) Edna McConnell Clark Foundation Research Grant No. 279-0112; $80,173; Galactosidase-Immunoassays for Schistosomiasis.
(5) Principal Investigator (1981-1982) RI Foundation, the Phebe Parker Fund; Project No. 7755; $4,500; Non-histone Chromosomal Proteins of Human Peripheral Lymphocytes.
(6) Principal Investigator (1996-1997) Antisense Inhibition of Allergic Inflammation; $5,000; Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America/New England Chapter.
(7) Principal Investigator (1997-1998) Antisense Inhibition of Allergic Inflammation; $5,000; Francis H. Chafee/Brown University Allergy Research Fund.
(1) Principal Investigator (1996-1997) A 12-Week Randomized, Double Blind, Positive Control Cross-Over Study of Albuterol, Ipratropium and the Combination, as an Inhalation Solution in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease; Dey Laboratories, Napa Valley, CA (DL-024).
(2) Principal Investigator (1996-1997) Evaluation of the Efficacy and Safety of Alferon-N (interferon alpha-n3) Injection as Compared to a Placebo Control in the Treatment of HIV-Positive Subjects; Interferon Sciences, Inc., New Brunswick, NJ (IFN-9501).
(3) Principal Investigator (1997-1998) Alferon-N (interferon alpha-n3) Injection Treatment of HIV: Continuation Study; Interferon Sciences, Inc., New Brunswick, NJ (IFN-9504).
(4) Principal Investigator (1997-1998) A Double Blind Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study of Nefazodone in the Treatment of Fibromyalgia; Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ (CN104-137-011).
(5) Principal Investigator (1998) A Multicenter, Multinational, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase III Study of Oral Naloxone for the Treatment of Opioid-Induced Constipation in Patients with Chronic Non-malignant or Malignant Pain; Roxane Laboratories, Inc. (NAL-0397).
(6) Sub-Investigator (2000) Phase II Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Six Weeks Treatment by Oral Dosing with CJ-13,610 in Adults with COPD; Pfizer (A2531002).
(7) Sub-Investigator (2000-2001) Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Group Comparison of the Efficacy and Safety of Propiram, Tramadol (Ultram) and Placebo with an Open Label Extension in the Treatment of Pain Associated with Osteoarthritis of the Knee and/or Hip. Roberts Laboratories, Inc (SCIREX Corp 22,163-302R1).
(8) Sub-Investigator (2000-2001) A Multi-centre, Multinational, Double-blind, Double-dummy, Placebo-controlled, Group Comparative Study to Investigate the Effects of AR-C68397AA via pMDI Compared with Salmeterol in Adult Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.(AstraZeneca, SC-397-5163).
(9) Sub-Investigator (2001-2003) A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group, Fixed Dose, Multicenter Study of Weight-Reducing Effect and Prevention of Weight Regain in Obese Patients With or Without Co-morbidities. Sanofi-Synthelabo.
(10) Sub-Investigator (2002-2004) A Randomized, Double-blind, Multi-center Study to Evaluate the Tolerability and Effectiveness of Etoricoxib 90 mg qd vs Diclofenac 50 mg tid in Patients with Osteoarthritis. Merck & Co, Inc. Protocol No. 061/COX523.
Basic and clinical courses in immunology and allergy.
- Advanced Immunology (Bio 253)
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology (Bio 309)
- Experimental Cellular Immunology (Bio 160)
- Medical Microbiology (Bio 158)
- Topics in Cell Biology (Bio 293)
- Thompson, WA and Weltman, JK (2012) Bioinformatic Analyses of 2009-2010 Pandemic H1N1 Influenza A Hemagglutinin Subsets; J Med Microbiol Diagnosis, June 25, 2012, 1:e110. doi:10.4172/2161-0703.1000e110. http://www.omicsonline.org/2161-0703/2161-0703-1-110.php? aid=6230 (2012)
- Thompson, WA and Weltman, JK (2012). Intergenic subset organization within a set of geographically-defined viral sequences from the 2009 H1N1 influenza A pandemic. Amer J Mol Biol. 2(1):32-41. DOI: 10.4236/ajmb.2012.21004. Pub. date: 2011-12-30. http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=16549 (2012)
- Thompson, W.A. Martwick, A. Weltman, J.K. (2010) Examining H1N1 Through Its Information Entropy. (In the Spotlight) . IEEE Signal Processing 27(3):171-174. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5447071 (2010)
- Thompson WA, Martwick A and Weltman JK. (2009) Decimative Multiplication of Entropy Arrays, with Application to Influenza. Entropy 11(3):351-359; DOI: 10.3390/e11030351, http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/11/3/351, Correction: http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/11/3/384/ (2009)
- Thompson WA, Fan S and Weltman JK. (2008) Information Entropy of Influenza A Segment 7. Entropy 10(4):736-744; DOI: 10.3390/e10040736, http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/10/4/736 (2008)
- Weltman JK, Skowron G and Loriot GB (2007) Influenza A H5N1 hemagglutinin cleavable signal sequence substitutions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun.352(1):177-180. Epub 2006 Nov 10. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=-83281715&_sort=r&_st=13&view=c&_acct=C000022678&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=489286&md5=b0f0edc58f5497f799c418cebb7ef999&searchtype=a (2007)