Janette Baird, PhD
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine (Research)
Work: +1 401-444-2976
I have been involved as a co-investigator on multiple federally funded grants. These have included clinical trials of the effectiveness of behavioral interventions in reducing drug and alcohol use, risky driving behaviors and HIV risk. These studies have been conducted in the emergency departments and in the community.
BiographyI am a behavioral scientist with a PhD in experimental psychology. I am an assistant professor (Research) within the Department of Emergency Medicine at the Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University. My research interests include addictive and risk behaviors, such as HIV and STI risks. I am also interested in the young adult driving behaviors. I have been involved in the analyses of several large data sets, with an emphasis on the analysis of mechanisms of change models.
Funded ResearchPhone Intervention for Hazardous Alcohol Use in Emergency Department Motor Vehicle Crash Patients
Center for Disease Control (CDC) 2003-2007. Principle Investigator MJ Mello. Co-Investigator J Baird
2) Reducing Injury, Alcohol and Marijuana Use among Emergency Department Patients
National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (1R01AA13709-01A1). 2003-2007. Total funds $2,106,398. Principal Investigator: R. Woolard. Role: Co-Investigator J Baird
3) Reducing Youthful Dangerous Driving (RYDD).
Center for Disease Control (R49 CE000544-01). 2005-2008. Total Funds $883,668. Principal Investigator T.D. Nirenberg.Co-Investigator J Baird.
4) Directed ED Screening and Intervention for Alcohol Abuse.
EMF/NHTSA (3-00-003054-201) 2005-2007. Total funds $74,952. Principal Investigator MJ Mello. Role: Co-Investigator J Baird.
5) Surveying Sailing Injuries.
Bonnell Cove Foundation. 2006-2007. Total Funds $10,000. Principal Investigator A. Nathason. Role:
Co-Investigator J Baird.
6) Confluence of HIV Risk Behaviors and Drug Misuse Among Rhode Island Hospital Emergency Department
Patients. Centers for AIDS Research. (P30A1042853). 2008-2009.Total funds $40,000.
Principal Investigator: R Merchant. Role: Co- Investigator: J Baird
7) Reducing Offenses in Adolescent Drivers (ROAD).
National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (1R401 1AA015708-01A2). 2007-2012. Total Funds $2,390,889. Principal Investigator T.D. Nirenberg. Co-Investigator J Baird.
7) Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED)
National Institute on Drug Abuse (1R01 DA0026066-01). 2009-2014. Total Funds $3,766,610.
Principal Investigators R Merchant, T Nirenberg. Co-Investigator J Baird.
8) ReDIAL: A telephone brief intervention for injured emergency department patients
National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (1R01 1AA017895-01). 2010-2015. Total Funds $3,291,074. Principal Investigator MJ. Mello. Co-Investigator J Baird.
9) PediSBIRT: Translation of Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention Guidelines to Pediatric Trauma Centers
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (R01/CE001-158601). 2009-2012. Total funds $599,345.
Principal Investigator MJ Mello. Role: Co-Investigator J Baird.
10) Reducing Offenses of Adolescent Drivers (ROAD) Administrative Supplement
National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (3RAA15708-03S1). 2009-2011. Total funds
$166,653. Principal Investigator: T.D. Nirenberg. Role: Co-Investigator J Baird.
11) Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED) Student Supplement (3 R01
DA026066-01S1). 009-2010. National Institute on Drug Abuse. Total funds $80,000. Co-Principal
Investigators: R. Merchant and T.D. Nirenberg. Role: Co-Investigators J Baird
12) Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED) Diversity Supplement
(1R01DA026066-01). 2010- 2012. National Institute on Drug Abuse. Total funds $27,100. Co-Principal
Investigators: R. Merchant and T.D. Nirenberg. Role: Co-Investigator J Baird.
13) Intervention to Increase Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Screening Uptake Among Young Adult Female
Emergency Department Patients. The Rhode Island Foundation. Total funds $14,700.
Principal Investigator J Baird.
14) Increasing Viral Testing in the Emergency Department (InVITED) (R21 DA028645-01) 2009-2012. Total
funds $483,904. Principal Investigator: R Merchant. Role: Co-Investigator: J Baird
15) ED based Prevention Intervention to Delay Alcohol Use by Young Adolescents (R21 AA018380-01). 2009-
2012. Total funds$464,864. Principal Investigators: JG Linakis, A Spirito. Role: Co-Investigator: J