Associate Professor of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Work: +1 401-863-2081
BiographyMy lab is interested in all aspects of plant evolution and function, though we do gravitate toward plants living in arid environments.
Research Descriptionplease visit my website
Grants and Awards2008 NSF ADVANCE Career Development Award, Brown University, $17,506.
2006 John Spangler Nicholas Prize, Yale University, $500.
2005 Ph.D. Awarded with Distinction, Yale University
2005 Maynard Moseley Award, Botanical Society of America
2005 Vernon I. Cheadle Student Travel Grant, Botanical Society of America, $500.
2004 MORPH Graduate Student Travel Grant, $300.
2003 EEB Department Chair Award, Yale University, $1500.
2002 YIBS Center for Field Ecology Graduate Research Award, Yale University, $2925.
2002 Deland Award for Student Research, Harvard University, $4250.
2000-2005 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
- Haberle RC, A Dang, T Lee, C Penaflor, H Cortes-Burns, A Oestreich, L Raubeson, N Cellinese, EJ Edwards, ST Kim, WMM Eddie, and RK Jansen. Taxonomic and biogeographic implications of a phylogenetic analysis of the Campanulaceae based on three chloroplast genes. Taxon, in press. (IN PRESS)
- Cellinese, N, SA Smith, EJ Edwards, ST Kim, RC Haberle, and MJ Donoghue. Historical biogeography of the endemic Campanulaceae of Crete. Journal of Biogeography, in press. (IN PRESS)
- Ogburn, MO, and EJ Edwards. Anatomical variation in the closest relatives of cacti: trait lability and evolutionary innovation. American Journal of Botany, in press. (IN PRESS)
- Edwards EJ and CJ Still. 2008. Climate, phylogeny, and the ecological distribution of C4 grasses. Ecology Letters 11: 266-276. (2008)
- Butterworth, CA and EJ Edwards. 2008. Investigating Pereskia and the earliest divergences in Cactaceae. Invited paper, Haseltonia 14: 46-53. (2008)
- Nyffeler, R, U Eggli, MO Ogburn, and EJ Edwards. 2008. Variations on a theme: repeated evolution of succulent life forms in the Portulacineae. Invited paper, Haseltonia 14: 26-36. (2008)
- Edwards EJ, CJ Still and MJ Donoghue. 2007. The relevance of phylogeny to studies of global climate change. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22: 243-249. (2007)
- Edwards EJ and M Diaz. 2006. Ecological physiology of Pereskia guamacho, a cactus with leaves. Plant Cell and Environment 29: 247-256 (Cover Article). (2006)
- Edwards EJ and MJ Donoghue. 2006. Pereskia and the origin of the cactus life form. American Naturalist 167: 777-793. (2006)
- Edwards EJ. 2006. The correlated evolution of stem and leaf hydraulic traits in Pereskia (Cactaceae). New Phytologist 172: 479-489. (2006)
- Edwards EJ, R Nyffeler, and MJ Donoghue. 2005. Basal cactus phylogeny: implications of Pereskia paraphyly for the transition to the cactus life form. American Journal of Botany 92: 1177-1188. (2005)
- Riedel SM, HE Epstein, DA Walker, DL Richardson, MP Calef, EJ Edwards, and A Moody. 2005. Spatial and temporal heterogeneity of vegetation properties among four tundra plant communities at Ivotuk, Alaska, USA. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 37: 25-33. (2005)
- Walker DA, HE Epstein, JG Jia, A Balsar, CD Copass, EJ Edwards, WA Gould, J Hollingsworth, J Knudson, HA Maier, A Moody, and MK Reynolds. 2003. Phytomass, LAI and NDVI in northern Alaska: relationships to summer warmth, soil pH, plant functional types, and extrapolation to the circumpolar Arctic. Journal of Geophysical Research 108 (D2): 8169 doi:10.1029/2001JD000986. (2003)
- Brodribb TJ, NM Holbrook, EJ Edwards, and MV Gutierrez. 2003. Relations between stomatal closure, leaf turgor and xylem vulnerability in eight tropical dry forest trees. Plant Cell and Environment 26: 443-450. (2003)
- Bell CD, EJ Edwards, ST Kim, and MJ Donoghue. 2001. Dipsacales phylogeny based on chloroplast DNA sequences. Harvard Papers in Botany 6: 481-499. (2001)