Lucy Rathier, Ph.D.
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry & Human Behavior
Psychiatry & Human Behavior
Work: +1 401-793-8770
BiographyDr. Rathier received her doctorate at the University of Albany, SUNY. Her internship and post-doctoral fellowship were at the VA Connecticut Healthcare System where she specialized in clinical health psychology, specifically pain management.
As a Staff Psychologist at Lifespan, she provides treatment for headache and caregiver stress at Behavioral Medicine Clinical Services in Providence, Rhode Island. She was honored in 2005 with Rhode Island Community Caregiver of the Year Award.
In addition, she leads psychoeducational groups in The Miriam Hospital Weight Management Program in Providence, Rhode Island.
She also provides training in Motivational Interviewing. Dr. Rathier is a primary supervisor in the Brown Clinical Psychology Internship.
Dr. Rathier conducts research on the use of religious coping in managing uncontrollable stressors. She developed the headache psychoeducation protocol and is an interventionist in Dr. Dale Bond's study of weight management in women with migraine.
AffiliationsAmerican Headache Society, Behavioral Section, Member
American Psychological Association Division 38, Member
Society for Behavioral Medicine, Member
- Rathier, L., Buse, D., Nicholson, R. & Andrasik, F. (2013). The multidisciplinary approach to the patient with migraine. In R. Lipton, M. Robbins and B. Grosberg (Eds.), Principles of Headache: Primary and Secondary Headache Disorders. Oxford, England: Wiley. (2013)
- Nash, J., Chandran, R., & Rathier, L. (2013). Anxiety disorders and headache. In M. Green and P. Muskin (Eds.), Neuropsychiatry of Headache. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. (2013)
- Rathier, L. (2013). The use of prayer and spiritual meditation in headache management. American Headache Society website. http://www.achenet.org/resources/the_use_of_prayer_and_spiritual_ meditation_in_headache_management_achetuesday/ (2013)
- Bond, D., O'Leary, K., Thomas, J.G., Lipton, R., Papandonatos, G., Roth, J., Rathier, L., Daniello, R., & Wing, R. (2013). Can weight loss improve migraine headaches in obese women? Rationale and design of the Women's Health and Migraine (WHAM) randomized, controlled trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 35(1), 133-144. (2013)
- Rathier, L. (2012). A review of behavioral medicine treatment of headache. Online continuing education course for Health Forum Online at www.healthforumonline.com/ (2012)
- Rathier, L. (2011) Behavioral treatment of headache and migraine patients: making referrals. Headache: Newsletter of The American Headache Society Committee for Headache Education, 3 (1), 3-5. (2011)
- Rathier, L., Tremont, G., Davis, J., & O'Connor, K. (2011, November). Prayer, Church Attendance, and Dementia Caregiver Well-being. Poster presented at the Gerontological Society of America's 64th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. (2011)
- Borrelli, B., Riekert , K., Weinstein, A., & Rathier, L. (2007). Brief motivational interviewing as a clinical strategy to promote asthma medication adherence. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 120 (5), 1023 -1030. (2007)
- Ahern, D., Sciamanna, C., Cardella, L., Palmieri, S., Marcus, B., Gans, K., and Papadonatos, G. (2005, April). Evaluation of a Tailored Messaging Website for Multiple Cancer Risk Factor Reduction. Paper presented at the annual convention of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. Boston, MA. (2005)
- Otis, J., Cardella, L., & Kerns, R. (2004). The influence of family and culture on pain. In R. Dworkin and W. Breitbart (Eds.), Psychosocial and psychiatric aspects of pain: A handbook for health care providers. Seattle, WA: International Association for the Study of Pain Press. (2004)
- Cardella, L., & Friedlander, M. (2004). The relationship between religious coping and psychological distress in parents of children with cancer. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 22(1), 19-37. (2004)
- Ahern, D., Cardella, L., Palmieri, S., Marcus, B., Gans, K., Papadonatos, G., and Sciamanna, C. (2004, July) Development and Evaluation of an Evidence-Based, Tailored Messaging Website for Multiple Cancer Risk Factor Reduction. Poster presented at the Translating Research into Practice Conference, Washington, DC. (2004)
- Greene, L., Meisler, A., Pilkey, D., Alexander, G., Cardella, L., Sirois, B., & Burg, M. (2003). Psychological work with groups in Veteran's Affairs Medical Centers. In C. Kalodner, J. DeLucia-Waack, D. Gerrity, & M. Riva (Eds.), Handbook of group counseling and psychotherapy. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. (2003)
- Nelson, L. L., Van Slyck, M. R., & Cardella, L. A. (1999). Curricula for teaching adolescents about peace and conflict. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 5(2), 167-172. (1999)
- Nelson, L. L., Van Slyck, M. R., & Cardella, L. A. (1999). Peace and conflict curricula for adolescents. In I. Harris & L. Forcey (Eds.), Peacebuilding for adolescents: Strategies for teachers and community leaders, New York: Peter Lang. (1999)
- Cardella, L. A., & Van Slyck, M. R. (1999, August). Peace education and conflict resolution curricula for middle school students. Paper presented at the 107th annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Boston, MA. (1999)