Zoltan Derdak, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Research)
Work: +1 401-444-8654
Grants and Awards1999 Ascona Prize (Balint Award for medical students founded by Prof. Dr. Luban-Plozza)
2002 Graduate summa cum laude, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Debrecen, Hungary
2008 Dr. George A. Bray Research Scholars Award in obesity
2010 Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Teaching and Research Award (Research Collaboration Award with Kristine Villegas)
2012 Young Investigator Bursary for the 2012 EASL Meeting (poster was amongst the best 200)
2012 AASLD Presidential Distinction Poster Award (poster was amongst the best 10%)
2012 Front page of issue 5 (volume 32) of Liver International featured my work
2012 Liver International paper (32(5):761-70) was featured in Global Medical Discovery Series. Global Medical Discovery is viewed almost 285,000 times each month by our audience of academic and industrial R&D personnel and it is featured on the intranets of a growing number
of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and major academic institutions.
2013 Young Investigator Bursary for the 2013 EASL Meeting (poster was amongst the best 200)
2013 Rhode Island Foundation Medical Research Grant for research project entitled 'Inhibiting Glycolysis in Liver Cancer by TIGAR Overexpression to Improve Chemosensitivity'
Affiliations2007 2013 American Association for Cancer Research
2007 2013 American Gastroenterological Association
2012. European Association for the Study of the Liver
2012 present American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
2013 present Hungarian Medical Association of America/New England Chapter
2013 present Central Research Safety Committee at Lifespan
Funded Research2008. Department of Medicine, George A. Bray Award for obesity research, $ 30,000.
2013. Rhode Island Foundation Medical Research Grant for research project entitled 'Inhibiting Glycolysis in Liver Cancer by TIGAR Overexpression to Improve Chemosensitivity'
- Derdak Z, Villegas KA, Wands JR (2012) Early growth response-1 transcription factor promotes hepatic fibrosis and steatosis in long-term ethanol-fed Long-Evans rats. Liver International. doi: 10.1111/j.1478-3231.2012.02752.x. (2012)
- De la Monte SM, Derdak Z, Wands JR (2012) Alcohol, insulin resistance and the liver-brain axis. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 27 Suppl 2:33-41. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1746.2011.07023.x. (2012)
- Derdak Z, Villegas KA, Harb R, Wu A, Sousa A, Wands JR (2012) Inhibition of p53 attenuates steatosis and liver injury in a mouse model of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Journal of Hepatology, doi:pii: S0168-8278(12)00912-9. 10.1016/j.jhep.2012.11.042. [Epub ahead of print] (2012)
- Rand D, Ortiz V, Liu Y, Derdak Z, Wands JR, Taticek M, Rose-Petruck C (2011) Nanomaterials for X-ray imaging: gold nanoparticle-enhancement of X-ray scatter imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma. Nanoletters, 11(7):2678-83 (2011)
- Baffy G, Derdak Z, Robson SC (2011) Mitochondrial recoupling: a novel therapeutic strategy for cancer? Br J Cancer, 105(4):469-74 (2011)
- Derdak Z, Lang CH, Villegas KA, Tong M, Mark NM, de la Monte SM, Wands JR (2011) Activation of p53 enhances apoptosis and insulin resistance in a rat model of alcoholic liver disease. Journal of Hepatology, 54(1):164-172 (2011)