2016 Trans* Health Conference
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Rhode Island College
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue, Providence, RI 02908
The goal of this conference is to enhance the health and well-being of members of the transgender community by (1)increasing the number of mental health and medical health care providers who feel comfortable and confident providing care for transgender patients; (2) increasing transgender community members’ knowledge, self-efficacy and advocacy skills through transgender centered educational sessions.
At the conclusion of this activity...
Primary care providers should be able to:
1. Describe professional guidelines established for the appropriate care of transgender adolescents and adults
2. Identify the risks/benefits of hormone therapy, design a plan of care that incorporates above guidelines
3. Compare and contrast the unique primary care needs of male to female and female to male transgender patients
4. Participate in advanced medical care cases
Mental health providers should be able to:
5. Identify mental health issues unique to transgender individuals and better understand role of the mental health professional through transition
6. Recognize sexual health needs of transgender patients and gain confidence in addressing these with patients
7. Participate in advanced behavioral health cases
Members of the transgender community should be able to:
8. Identify and discuss their legal needs and best strategies to meet these needs.
9. Discuss social identities and ways to develop positive masculine and feminine identities. As well as the importance of the intersection of race, ethnicity and class in these identities
10. Identify everyday issues faced by transgender community members and ways to address them.
Physicians specializing in primary care, obstetrics, endocrinology, and emergency medicine, nurses, psychologists, physician assistants, social workers, licensed mental health providers, medical students, residents, fellows, and members of the transgender community.
Seating is limited, pre-registration is required by Jan. 22, 2016! Conference registration fee includes: Breakfast, breaks, & lunch.
$50.00 NP's, CNM's, PA's, PhD's
$25.00 RN's, BSN's, MRN's, MSW's, Residents, Fellows
$0.00 Community Members