Clinical electives are four weeks long and are available, space permitting, to full-time students in good academic standing who are enrolled in their final year at approved medical schools. Variations on the rotation dates are not possible. Elective dates are NOT flexible and may be found on the clinical elective calendar. VIMS may not apply for core clerkships or sub-internships.
Students remain registered at their own schools while participating in clinical electives at Alpert Medical School.
Students must be in their FINAL year of medical school in order to be eligible for the program and must be fluent in English. For those who have taken the TOEFL exam, your score must be a total of 100 or higher.
Students may take clinical electives at Alpert Medical School for a maximum of six (6) months (24 weeks) at their own expense. However, they may not participate in any one elective for more than four (4) weeks.
Payment or Fees
- Do not send cash or personal checks. We are not responsible for any fees sent in cash.
- Cashier checks must be paid in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank.
- Applications sent with checks not drawn on U.S. banks will be considered incomplete and returned.
- American Express money orders may be used for payment in U.S. dollars.
- Cashier checks or money orders must be payable to Brown University.
- DO NOT WRITE ON THE BACK OF CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS. It could delay your application.
- The application fee must be paid separately from the clerkship tuition. Do not combine your payments for the application fee and tuition in the same check or money order.
- The application fee may NOT be wire transferred. Any application fees that are wire transferred will be returned to you and could result in your not being scheduled.
- The tuition fee may be wired (must not include application fees) to:
Payable to: Brown University, 164 Angell Street, Providence, RI 02912
Bank Name: Citizens Bank, One Citizens Plaza, Providence, RI 02903
ABA#: 011500120 (Domestic Wire Transfers)
SWIFT #: CTZIUS33 (International Wire Transfers)
Account #: 215-184-7
To be credited correctly: YOUR NAME and indicate our internal account numbers FRS1091080103 and CC40397.9001/40100.S0103.
If the student is in Europe: You may be asked for an IBAN# for Citizens Bank. Citizens Bank do not have one because they use the SWIFT system, which is the number indicated above.
Wiring fee is $35 in addition to tuition fee.
After wiring the tuition, email Linda_Conte@Brown.edu who will track it.
The student will submit a non-refundable application fee in the amount of US$175.00 payable to Brown University for each elective they wish to participate in. This should be sent via Cashier's Check drawn on a U.S. bank or American Express money order (see Payment of Fees).
For each 4-week elective the international student wishes to participate in, he/she will pay a US$4,000.00 tuition fee. This may be sent via Cashier's Check payable to Brown University and drawn on a U.S. bank, American Express money order, or wired funds (see Payment of Fees). Tuition is due at the time of application in order to secure a firm commitment.
If for some reason, the international medical student is denied acceptance by Brown, the tuition will be refunded. Once the tuition has been paid, the student may not receive a refund of the tuition within 3 months of the first originally-scheduled clinical elective*. Acceptance for an elective is made on a first-come, first-served basis. Be aware that Brown students have priority in scheduling and, in rare instances, this could result in a visiting student being moved from their previously scheduled elective. We will make every effort to reassign the Visiting International Medical Student to another elective of his/her choice, and no refund will be given in these circumstances. Elective spots may be very limited, so please provide several alternate choices on your application.
Applications for the next academic year will be accepted after mid-March. Please adhere to our schedule of dates (see calendar).
*Note: Changing the dates of your elective is permissible within reason and at Brown's discretion. However, refunds will not be issued once a change is made no matter what the timing. No more than two elective changes will be accommodated.