Yoga is a multifaceted approach to full body wellness. At its most foundational level, yoga is considered a “moving meditation”. The most difficult part of a yoga class should be making the decision to walk into the room. From that point on, the instructor leads a class through movements designed to instill calm in the body, coordinated with deep mindful breath. The atmosphere alone, one in which students are not required to think about anything beyond their own movement, is often enough to begin to reduce stress and anxiety. Yoga then becomes a foundation on which to build self-awareness and confidence. A consistent yoga practice builds physical strength as well as encourages clarity and calm when experiencing physical discomfort and strain.
Benefits of Yoga in a Competitive, High-Stress Environment
Incorporating movement and breath, yoga practice has been shown to:
- lower anxiety levels and improve mood
- achieve more restful sleep patterns
- build strength in vulnerable muscle groups (legs, low back, core and shoulders)
- create an outlet through which to channel stress out of the body and mind
- rewire emotional responses and work through challenges with calm and clarity
Yoga Schedule at AMS
Classes are offered Tuesdays at 8:00AM and Wednesdays at 5:00PM every week. The days and times of classes are coordinated to best correlate with Medical School class times and are posted on the MD Student Events Calendar.