The Department of Physics Orientation
- for incoming PhD students is scheduled for Tuesday, August 26 through Thursday, August 28, 2014.
- for incoming ScM students will likely be scheduled for Wednesday, August 27, 2014, with additional events on Tuesday, August 26 and Thursday, August 28.
The Graduate School's Orientation for Graduate Students is Friday, August 29, 2014.
International Student Orientation is Thursday, August 21 - Friday, August 22, 2014.
The Graduate School's information for new graduate students:
The Department of Physics is located in the Barus & Holley building. The main administrative offices are located on the 4th floor, south side (4S). The 1st year graduate student office is BH122. All graduate students are assigned a desk and corresponding locker, as well as a mailbox in the mailroom, BH125.
The mailing address for the department is:
Brown University, Department of Physics, Box 1843, Providence, RI 02912
The shipping address is:
Brown University, Department of Physics, 182 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02912
- Please check your mailbox regularly. University generated correspondence will be sent to you at this address, which should be used for Physics business only.
- For packages, you should use the shipping address for all carriers besides USPS. These deliveries will come to the Stock Room, located at the northwest end of the building attached to Prince Lab. John Lee is the clerk. He will notify you by email if you receive a package.
Brown ID Cards are obtained at the Brown Card Office, located in J. Walter Wilson (JWW), Rm. 511 (5th floor, 69 Brown St. x3-2273).
Completing the I-9 form at the Graduate School is required in order to receive your stipend (Doctoral) or to work on campus (Master's). Remember to bring your relevant identification documents.
BANNER and Course Registration:
Course registration in Banner will open on Wednesday, 9/3 at 8 AM.
- Go to Self-Service Banner and click on the “Enter Secure Area” link.
- Log in using your official web authorization - the same username and password used for your university email.
- Upon logging in, you may register for courses, check financial aid, change your address, etc.
- You will need your Banner ID, which is printed on your Brown ID Card.
There is an open period of about 3 weeks when registrations can be changed. Please refer to the academic year calendars on the Registrar's website.
You will register for each upcoming semester during a prescribed pre-registration period (early November and mid-April) in the current semester. Mark the dates and watch for emails regarding these preregistration periods. Those who do not preregister each semester will have a hold put on their accounts and must pay a fee to have it removed before they are cleared to register again.
ALL REGISTRATION CHANGES, ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO YOUR ADVISOR’S ATTENTION AS THE ACADEMIC YEAR PROGRESSES.