Brown Environmental Leadership Lab: Alaska - How to Apply
2015 Program Dates:
Sunday, July 26 - Saturday, August 8, 2015
Language of Instruction:
Minimum age of 15 at the time of the program.
Prospective students must apply for admission. For most programs, there is no application deadline. Many courses do fill quickly, so students are encouraged to apply early to have the best chance of enrolling in first-choice courses.
Completed applications are submitted to the admissions committee for review. When evaluating applicants, Brown looks for academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, and a readiness for participation in an independent academic environment.
Applicants will be notified by email when their application is complete, and are notified of the admissions committee's decision by email, usually within two weeks of the application complete date.
Accepted students must confirm their attendance with a $300 non-refundable program deposit. Once this deposit is received, students must enroll in a course through connect.brown.edu. Course availability is on a first-come, first-serve basis so enroll early!
Program admission does not guarantee enrollment in a specific course. Courses may also be cancelled at any time due to unforeseen circumstances.
Before applying, review our list of important considerations for off-campus programs.
A complete application consists of 4 items:
- A completed online Application Form.
Parents and Students: Please be sure to create only one account per applicant. Course selection and enrollment takes place AFTER program admission and receipt of $300 program deposit.
- A non-refundable application fee (payable securely online)
Before 3/1/2016: $50
3/1/2016 to 4/30/2016: $75
5/1/2016 and after: $100
Accepted forms of payment include credit cards (MC/VISA/AMEX/DISCOVER) and ACH Payments. International applicants may pay by Flywire or wire transfer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for payment instructions.
- A Teacher's Recommendation
An email will be sent to the educational reference submitted in the application.
- An official school transcript.
Applicants should request an official transcript containing your most recent grades/marks for each course with an explanation of the scoring system in English (for example, 6=excellent or A=excellent). Please submit your transcript by using the Upload Documents tab within connect.brown.edu.
Application materials should be mailed to:
Providence, RI 02912
Important Considerations for Off-campus Programs
To facilitate a safe and positive learning experience for each student and the community, we expect students to be able to:
- Walk or stay outdoors for up to 3 hours at a time (with a few scheduled breaks)
- Tolerate variable weather conditions (rain, humidity, wind, heat)
- Sleep in shared areas (e.g. tents, dorm-style accommodations) with 2-5 same-sex peers
- Self-manage and administer prescription medications, if applicable
- Listen, absorb, and process information outside a classroom setting (e.g. outdoors, cultural sites)
- Be flexible with schedule changes due to weather or other factors
- Spend extended periods of time away from cell phones and portable music players (from several hours to several days, depending on the program)
- Participate in an immersive, living-learning community with limited personal time
- Respect and learn from other cultures, traditions, and perspectives
- Communicate significant health, safety, and personal concerns to program staff
Please call us and ask to speak to the Program Director if any of these things are of concern so we can make sure you have enough information about the particular program, as well as options for case-by-case accommodations, to make an effective decision about participation.
Scholarships and Fundraising
Limited Dean's Scholarships are available for this program. Dean's Scholarship Application » Please note that this application is exclusively for the BELL: Alaska program. If have chosen to receive a scholarship, the award is nontransferable.
Due to the high demand and limited scholarship availability for the program, we encourage students to apply as early as possible. Dean’s Scholarship awards will be awarded to the most qualified applicants. We cannot guarantee that all applicants will receive scholarship assistance. Awards are made until funds are depleted.
Each year, admitted students work with their extended families, friends, neighbors, schools, and community organizations to fund program fees and transportation. View our Fundraising Guide for valuable information on how to clarify your costs, define your resources, and set a fundraising goal.
Visit connect.brown.edu to check the status of your application.
Have questions about your application? Please contact us at: email@example.com
Student applicants are encouraged to review our Financial Policies.