Brown Environmental Leadership Lab: Costa Rica: How to Apply
2015 Program Dates:
July 12 – 25, 2015
Language of Instruction:
Minimum age of 16 at the time of the program.
A passport is required. US and EU citizens do not require a visa.
Dates & Deadlines:
April 20, 2015
For priority consideration in Summer 2015 Global Programs in Rome, Segovia, and Costa Rica, submit completed applications.
April 30, 2015
In addition to a completed application form, all applications materials are due: Essay, Non-refundable Application Fee, Teacher's Recommendation, and an Official High School Transcript
May 28, 2015
All program balances are due.
Prospective students must apply for admission (see details below). For most programs, there is no application deadline. Courses do fill quickly, so students are encouraged to apply early to have the best chance of enrolling in first-choice courses.
Completed applications are submitted to the admissions committee for review. When evaluating applicants, Brown looks for academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, and a readiness for participation in an independent academic and living environment.
Applicants will be notified by email when their application is complete, and are notified of the admissions committee's decision by email, usually within two weeks of the application complete date.
Accepted students must confirm their attendance with a $300 non-refundable program deposit. Once this deposit is received, students may enroll through connect.brown.edu.
Program admission does not guarantee enrollment in a specific course. Courses may also be cancelled at any time due to unforeseen circumstances. We ask that you do not purchase your flights until you receive an email from Brown confirming the program.
Before applying, review our list of important considerations for off-campus programs.
A complete application consists of 5 items:
- A completed Application Form
To begin your application, create a connect.brown.edu account by following the link above, click the My Application tab, and select the Non-Credit Global Programs application type.
Parents and Students: Please be sure to create only one account per applicant. Course selection and enrollment takes place AFTER program admission and receipt of $300 program deposit.
- An essay (Submitted as part of your online application), in which you tell us where your academic interests lie; why these areas interest you; what preparation you have for further study in these areas; what you hope to gain from participating in this program; and any further information you want to convey to us.
- A non-refundable application fee (payable securely online)
Before 3/1/2015: $50
3/1/2015 to 4/30/2015: $75
5/1/2015 and after: $100
Applicants within the U.S. may elect to pay their application fee by mail. Make check or money order payable to Brown University with student's name on the notation line. International applicants may pay by wire transfer or check - contact email@example.com for payment instructions.
- A Teacher's Recommendation. An email will be sent to the educational reference submitted in the application.
- An official school transcript Transcripts do not need to be official but do need to include a signature or stamp from your school in order to be considered authentic. Applicants should request an official transcript containing their current grades/marks, as well as all grades since 9th grade including Fall 2014. Please ensure an explanation of the scoring system is included in English (for example, 6 = excellent or A = excellent). PLEASE NOTE: if your current year grades are not reflected in your transcript, please also send us a copy of your report card for the most current grades. Transcripts may be uploaded directly within connect.brown.edu using the Upload Documents tab. Transcripts may also be faxed to our office at 401-863-3916 or emailed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application materials should be mailed to:
School of Professional Studies
Providence, RI 02912
Dates & Deadlines
April 20, 2015 - For priority consideration in Summer 2015 Global Programs in Rome, Segovia, and Costa Rica, submit completed applications.
April 30, 2015 - In addition to a completed application form, all applications materials are due: Essay, Non-refundable Application Fee, Teacher's Recommendation, and an Official High School Transcript
May 28, 2015 - All program balances are due.
Important Considerations for Off-campus Programs
To facilitate a safe and positive learning experience for each student and the community, we expect students to be able to:
- Walk or stay outdoors for up to 3 hours at a time (with a few scheduled breaks)
- Tolerate variable weather conditions (rain, humidity, wind, heat)
- Sleep in shared areas (e.g. tents, dorm-style accommodations) with 2-5 same-sex peers
- Self-manage and administer prescription medications, if applicable
- Listen, absorb, and process information outside a classroom setting (e.g. outdoors, cultural sites)
- Be flexible with schedule changes due to weather or other factors
- Spend extended periods of time away from cell phones and portable music players (from several hours to several days, depending on the program)
- Participate in an immersive, living-learning community with limited personal time
- Respect and learn from other cultures, traditions, and perspectives
- Communicate significant health, safety, and personal concerns to program staff
Please call us and ask to speak to the Program Director if any of these things are of concern so we can make sure you have enough information about the particular program, as well as options for case-by-case accommodations, to make an effective decision about participation.
Each year, admitted students work with their extended families, friends, neighbors, schools, and community organizations to fund program fees and transportation. View our Fundraising Guide to help you organize your efforts.
Visit connect.brown.edu to check the status of your application.
Have questions about your application? Please contact us at: email@example.com
Student applicants are encouraged to review our Financial Policies.