So You Want to Be a Doctor?
This course is expected to run but has not yet been scheduled.
Is a career in medicine right for you? This course is designed to help you answer that question. Experience the study of medicine in a whole new way and get a taste of what medical school and practicing medicine in a variety of different medical specialties would be like. Participants in this class will:
- Study gross anatomy, histology, physiology, and microbiology in virtual labs
- Assess and care for the medical needs of your own virtual patients
- Take a virtual visit to a human anatomy lab for an up-close view of the brain, lungs, liver, and other anatomical structures, and see how disease impacts these organs
- Gain insight into medical specialties from top doctors in a range of fields, and discover the many options for practice across the field of medicine
- Explore topics such as the biology of disease to medical ethics
- Participate in a medical shadowing experience you will arrange at a site of your choice, spending time with a doctor in a hospital, clinic, or office setting
- Understand strategies for a successful medical school application
- Learn the steps necessary to earn your medical degree and medical license
- Sharpen the study skills you need to succeed in medical school
"I liked how we were able to interact with virtual patients and diagnose them ourselves. I also liked the feedback that the instructors gave us because it helped me improve every time, and I was able to look further into the patient in the next paper to prove each diagnosis better."
- So You Want to Be a Doctor? student, Summer 2015
Learn more about your instructor for this course.
Time commitment: The first week of your online course serves as the course orientation, during which you will get to know Canvas (Brown's learning management system), review course expectations and strategies for your success, learn about your instructor, and help us to learn a bit about you. These activities should take you just a few hours to complete.
The following week you will begin working with your instructor and classmates on the course itself. To be successful in this course, you must have reliable internet access, and will be expected to participate multiple times each week. Plan to spend approximately 10 hours per week on coursework.
Recommended prerequisite: One year of high school Biology
• Computer with internet access and browser
• Headphones or speakers
• Adobe Flash Player (Important elements of this course require Flash and will not work on an iPad. If you do not already have Flash installed on your computer, you will be provided with instructions on how to download it at the start of the course.)
Supplementary materials: approximately $50 (Note: Be sure to allow adequate time for shipping of required materials so that you have them in hand by the start of the course.)
Course Fee: $1960
Related courses: So You Think You Want to Be a Doctor: An Introduction to Medicine? (on campus course)