So You Want to Be a Doctor?
One Section Available to Choose From:
|Course Dates||Weeks||Meeting Times||Status||Instructor(s)||CRN|
|July 01, 2015 - August 25, 2015||8||Online||Open||Stephen Smith, M.D.||10737|
Is a career in medicine right for you? This course is designed to help you answer that question. Experience the study of medicine in a whole new way and get a taste of what medical school and practicing medicine in a variety of different medical specialties would be like. Participants in this class will:
• Study gross anatomy, histology, physiology, and microbiology in virtual labs
• Assess and care for the medical needs of your own virtual patients
• Take a virtual visit to a human anatomy lab for an up-close view of the brain, lungs, liver, and other anatomical structures, and see how disease impacts these organs
• Gain insight into medical specialties from top doctors in a range of fields, and discover the many options for practice across the field of medicine
• Explore topics ranging from the biology of disease to medical ethics
• Participate in a medical shadowing experience you will arrange at a site of your choice, spending time with a doctor in a hospital, clinic, or office setting
• Understand strategies for a successful medical school application
• Learn the steps necessary to earn your medical degree and medical license
• Sharpen the study skills you need to succeed in medical school.
"I liked the variety in the course, from the anatomy labs, virtual patients, specialty interviews, class discussions, individual research papers, and information about medical school. For a high schooler exploring medicine as a possible career, this course provides everything a student would dream about. There was a sufficient emphasis on all different areas so I feel so much more knowledgable now!"
- So You Want to Be a Doctor? student, Summer 2014
Learn more about your instructor for this course.
Time commitment: To be successful in this course, you must have reliable internet access, and will be expected to participate multiple times each week. Plan to spend approximately 10 hours per week on coursework.
Recommended prerequisite: One year of high school Biology
• Computer with internet access and browser
• Headphones or speakers
• Adobe Flash Player (Important elements of this course require Flash and will not work on an iPad. If you do not already have Flash installed on your computer, you will be provided with instructions on how to download it at the start of the course.)
Supplementary materials: approximately $50
Course Fee: $1960
Related courses: Introduction to Medicine: Do You Want to Be a Doctor? (on campus course)