Renewable Energy Engineering: Wind and Solar Power
This course is no longer being offered.
The demand for energy is expected to grow 30% by 2040. What role can engineers play in developing renewable energy sources? In this course, you will explore the some of the science, math, and technology that is used to extract energy from renewable resources. You will:
• Apply engineering concepts and principles to solving renewable energy issues
• Examine how wind energy and solar power systems work
• Learn how to determine the efficiency of an energy system
• Understand the concepts of energy conversion, work, and power
• Construct a plan for providing wind and solar energy to an area of your interest.
"I feel that this course as well as the instructor exemplified college learning in the sense that freedom and creativity are encouraged."
- Renewable Energy Engineering student, Summer 2014
Learn more about your instructor for this course.
Time commitment: To be successful in this course, you must have reliable internet access, and will be expected to participate multiple times each week. Plan to spend approximately 10 hours per week on coursework.
Students will have access to this course one week before the official start date in order to complete a brief orientation.
Prerequisite: Students who have completed Algebra 1 and Trigonometry are best prepared to participate in this course; recommended prerequisite: Exploring Engineering (free course).
• Computer with internet access and browser
• Headphones or speakers
• Adobe Flash Player (Important elements of this course require Flash and will not work on an iPad. If you do not already have Flash installed on your computer, you will be provided with instructions on how to download it at the start of the course.)
• Smartphone with camera, digital camera, or scanner (some assignments require students to upload photos, sketches, or graphs to the course website)
• Word-processing tool that will allow you to save documents as either a .doc, docx, or .pdf
Supplementary materials: none
Course Fee: $1180
Looking for other online Engineering courses? Check out: Biomedical Engineering: The Smart Design of Medical Implants and Devices; Materials Science and Engineering: Designing for Society's Needs.
You might also be interested in: