German for Reading (Online)
This course is expected to run but has not yet been scheduled.
This course prepares students to read and understand German texts from a variety of disciplines and in various genres. This intensive introduction to German grammar and syntax is for students without prior knowledge of German, and also for students with some background in German who wish to review and master German grammar. The student who successfully completes this course will have the necessary foundation for reading and translating written texts from German into English. This course is taught in English.
In this course students will:
- learn strategies to read and understand articles, newspapers, magazines, books and secondary literature in German
- acquire skills to translate accurately from German into English
- analyze and decipher simple to complex German grammar structures
- gain a better understanding of English grammar
- develop techniques to decipher German vocabulary without the use of a dictionary
- work with dictionaries to achieve a greater understanding of the nuances of German vocabulary
This course is appropriate for undergraduate students looking to refine grammar skills or for those anticipating graduate school language exams, as well as for graduate students needing to pass a language exam. Successfully passing this course can often fulfill the language requirement, please consult with your individual department. We welcome students from all academic disciplines who need to understand and read texts in German. Students do not learn how to speak German in this class. Students will have daily homework consisting of textbook readings, translating passages and memorizing vocabulary using an online vocabulary training program.
Learn more about your instructor for this course.
This course is offered fully online and is open only to Brown Undergraduates and Graduate Students and to qualified Visiting Undergraduates. The duration, course credit, and fees associated with the course are the same as other Summer Session courses. Students do not need to be on Brown's campus to participate in this course. Please view the technical requirements for this online course below.
- Computer with reliable, high-speed internet connection
- Up-to-date Internet browser supported by Canvas, Brown's learning management system
- Camera for still and video images (or smartphone)
- Headphones, earbuds or speakers
- Webcam and microphone
- Adobe Flash Player browser plugin (Course elements may require Flash and will not work on an iPad.)
- Word Processing application to save and open Microsoft Office formats (.doc,.docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx)
- Courses can also be accessed on tablets and mobile devices. These devices can be used as supplemental access points in order to complete most coursework.