Summer@Brown: What to Bring
Information for Accepted Students
- Clothing: Shorts, T-shirts, pants, etc.
LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE STUDENTS: You are required to wear long pants (NOT capris) and close-toed shoes like sneakers or hiking shoes for the Challenge Course. We also recommend that you bring a rain jacket or inexpensive poncho.
- Proper attire for laboratory-based classes (if applicable - see below)
- One set of 'dress-up' clothes (dress is almost always informal, but you'll want to be ready if a special occasion occurs)
- Sheets for your twin, extra long size bed (36 by 80 inches, approximately 6 inches thick.)
- A bedspread or comforter
- You may also wish to bring a mattress cover or pad
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Towels and face cloths
- Alarm clock
- Desk lamp (Halogen lamps are not permitted in the residence halls)
- Clothes hangers
- Mug/drinking glass
- Water bottle
- Laundry bag and detergent
- Toothbrush, toiletries, soap
- Fans - Students driving to campus are strongly encouraged to bring a fan from home since a limited number are available for purchase or rental on the day of arrival.
- Reusable water bottles - It's important for students to stay hydrated during the summer heat.
- A Flash Drive for saving and transporting digital files
You will find in your room: bed, desk and chair, dresser, wireless internet and trash can.
Students may find information about rentals of fans, refrigerators, microwaves, linens and laundry services through the Brown Student Agencies website.
Proper attire for laboratory-based classes
Students completing course work in laboratories should keep in mind there are established practices for lab attire. Closed toed shoes or sneakers and long pants are required in laboratories. Sandals, shorts, skirts or tank tops may NOT be worn in laboratories.
- Clothes iron
- Recreation and sports equipment
- Beach equipment /sunglasses
- Laptop computer
You may NOT bring pets, cooking devices, air conditioners, or motor vehicles to campus (except commuter students).