Intensive English Language at Brown:
How to Apply
Prospective students must apply for admission. For most programs, there is no application deadline. Many courses do fill quickly, so students are encouraged to apply early to have the best chance of enrolling in first-choice courses.
Completed applications are submitted to the admissions committee for review. When evaluating applicants, Brown looks for academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, and a readiness for participation in an independent academic environment.
Applicants will be notified by email when their application is complete, and are notified of the admissions committee's decision by email, usually within two weeks of the application complete date.
Accepted students must confirm their attendance with a $300 non-refundable program deposit. Once this deposit is received, students may enroll through connect.brown.edu.
A complete application consists of the following items:
- A completed Application Form
To begin your application, create a connect.brown.edu account by following the link above, click the My Application tab, and select the Non-Credit Application application type.
Parents and Students: Please be sure to create only one account per applicant. Course selection and enrollment takes place AFTER program admission and receipt of $300 program deposit.
- An essay (Submitted as part of your application), in which you tell us where your academic interests lie; why these areas interest you; what preparation you have for further study in these areas; what you hope to gain from participating in this program; and any further information you want to convey to us.
- A non-refundable application fee (payable securely online)
Before 3/1/2015: $50
3/1/2015 to 4/30/2015: $75
5/1/2015 and after: $100
Applicants within the U.S. may elect to pay their application fee by mail. Make check or money order payable to Brown University with student's name on the notation line. International applicants may pay by wire transfer or check - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for payment instructions.
- A school transcript Transcripts do not need to be official but do need to include a signature or stamp from your school in order to be considered authentic. Applicants should request an official transcript containing their current grades/marks, as well as all grades since 9th grade including Fall 2014. Please ensure an explanation of the scoring system is included in English (for example, 6 = excellent or A = excellent). PLEASE NOTE: if your current year grades are not reflected in your transcript, please also send us a copy of your report card for the most current grades. Transcripts may be uploaded directly within connect.brown.edu using the Upload Documents tab. Transcripts may also be faxed to our office at 401-863-3916 or emailed as an attachment to email@example.com.
Application materials should be mailed to:
Providence, RI 02912
After we receive all of the items above, the admissions committee will review your application. The committee looks for academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, and a readiness for participation in an independent academic environment.
To ensure sufficient time for the admissions committee to review and process your application, your application must be received at least two weeks prior to the start date of your desired online course.
We will notify you of the admissions committee's decision by email, usually within two weeks of the date your complete application was received. You may visit connect.brown.edu to check the status of your application.
Things to know about your application:
Program admission does not guarantee enrollment in a specific course. Courses may also be cancelled at any time due to unforeseen circumstances.
Student applicants are encouraged to review our Financial Policies.
Have questions about your application? Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn about Immigration Guidelines, Deadlines for Submitting Documentation, How to Apply for a Visa, and more.
All program balances are due by Thursday, May 28th *. Students who register after the initial payment deadline must pay their balance upon registration. Students will be billed monthly until the balance is paid. Students are not permitted to carry a balance while on campus.
* Students who require an I-20/F1 Visa have specific payment deadlines. Please review the Information for International Students page for additional information.