The Many Faces of Rome
June 25 - July 8, 2017
Language of Instruction:
For students completing grades 10-12 by June 2017, with a minimum age of 16 by the start of the program
A passport is required. US and EU citizens do not require a visa.
Application deadline: Friday, April 7, 2017.
Brown University, in affiliation with Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies (the Centro), offers a unique 2-week summer program located in the heart of Rome. The program explores Roman life and culture through a wide range of disciplines – history, literature, language, and the arts.
In this program, students participate in seminars, site visits, and workshops, supplemented with weekend excursions to Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, Tuscany, and Umbria. Students will receive a private guided tour of the Colosseum by the engineer who re-created an elevator lift inside the ancient ruin. Courses are taught in English by Brown faculty and local experts.
- A basic knowledge of Italian language
- A secure grasp of Roman history, from the Bronze Age to the present
- A knowledge of Roman topography
- An exposure to college-level lectures, with attention paid to cultivating learning skills for college
- A finished written project at the college level