Segovia: For Accepted Students
Global Business in Context: Spanish Language, Literature, Politics and Media.
Students should bring a copy of these emergency phone numbers while they are traveling and leave a copy with their parents/guardians.
Carmen Granda – On-Site Director
cell: 401-440-9587 (active on June 26)
IE University - Segovia
Cardenal Zuniga, 12
40003 Segovia, Spain
T: +34 921 44 26 88
Rosario Navarro – Director, International Programs, Brown University
Emergency phone numbers in Spain
112 – Emergency Police Help Number (also ambulance and fire)
061 – Medical emergencies
Brown University Department of Public Safety
(001) 401-863-4111 – Emergencies (when calling from Spain)
(001) 401-863-3322 – General inquiries (when calling from Spain)
Program and Travel Information
Send all documents to:
Attn: Global Programs
200 Dyer St./Box T
Providence, RI 02912
A web conference program orientation is scheduled for Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 5:30 pm EST.
Additional information on how to access will be emailed prior to web conference.
Booking your flights
June 28, 2015 – Arrive in Madrid Barajas (MAD) Airport (arrive by 1:00 pm)
July 18, 2015 – Depart from Madrid Barajas (MAD) Airport (depart between 9:00 am-1:00 pm)
Once your flight is booked, submit your itinerary and emergency contact(s) to:
If you are having trouble identifying flights within the arrival/departure windows as stated above, please contact us at (401) 863-7900 or email email@example.com prior to purchasing your ticket to ensure that your arrival/departure can be accommodated by the on-site staff.
Please note that if you are arriving/departing outside of the program dates, we cannot provide accommodations pre/post program.
Airport Pick-up and Transfer
- Students are met at the Madrid Barajas International Airport by Brown/IE staff and are brought to the IE campus in Segovia. After students claim their luggage and go through Customs, they will connect with program staff at the ARRIVALS area.
- If your flight is delayed or canceled, contact Carmen Granda,On-Site Director.
Course Materials List
Segovia: A Drawing Diary (CRN 10692)
- (1) 14” x 11” sketch book with thick enough paper for a variety of media
- (1) basic watercolor set - ex, cake colors AND (2) brushes: 1 round and 1 flat (OR assortment of markers with variety of colors)
- (1) water bottle
- (2-3) plastic dishes (such as cleaned yogurt containers)
- (1) set of colored pencils
- (1) glue stick
- Assorted drawing pencils - 3B and/or 4B
- (1) pencil sharpener
- (2-4) erasers
- (2) black drawing pens - sharpie fine points, or similar
- (1) scissors
Materials for the below courses will be made available on-site and/or on-line:
Global Business (CRN 10407)
Beginning Spanish (CRN 10376)
Intermediate Spanish (CRN 10377)
Space, Place & Moving Image (CRN 10590)
- Current passport (valid for at least 3 months after the end of the program)
- Photocopies of important documents and forms (passport, insurance, credit card, emergency contact numbers)
- Prescription medicine, including inhalers and epi-pens (in their original packaging to avoid delays at airport security)
- Cell phone activated for international use (Optional: www.travelcell.com, international phone rental)
- Adapter plug that supports universal voltage 110V-240V
- Travel alarm clock
- Notebooks and pens
- Day bag or small backpack for weekend trips
- Bug spray
- Water bottle
- Comfortable and sturdy shoes for walking
- Comfortable and sturdy sandals or flip-flops
- Shower robe and slippers
- One or two sweaters, sweatshirts or light jackets
- Rain jacket/poncho or umbrella
- One or two pairs of long pants
- One “dressy” outfit (including shoes)
- Day-to-day clothing (clothing appropriate for warm days and cool nights)
- Toiletries/personal items (i.e. shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair dryer, etc..)
- Spending money (see below)
- Credit card (without limit) for emergency use
- Laptop (see below)
Students are not required to bring their laptop computers but are welcome to do so. There is wireless internet everywhere on IE University campus. Alternatively, computer labs are available for student use.
Plan to bring between 300-500€ in spending money. The most convenient way is to acquire a prepaid credit card which can be used as a credit or ATM card. Visa or Mastercard are most widely accepted.
Another alternative is to use your bank ATM card; be sure to have your bank activate your card for overseas use before your departure. Cash can also be easily exchanged at the airport or at several locations in the city but there is a usually an additional exchange fee for this service.
IE University Hall of Residence
Santa Cruz la Real Campus, Segovia
- All rooms are equipped with en-suite bathroom
- All rooms have wireless broadband internet
- Each student will have their own key to their room
- All rooms are fitted with bed and bathroom linen
- Student bedrooms and communal areas are cleaned daily (except for weekends)
- Clothes laundry – coin operated machines are available on campus (3.50€). There is a laundry service every Tuesday (2.50€ per kilogram); clothes will be returned on Thursday.
Each student participating in a Pre-College Global Program is automatically enrolled in HTH Worldwide during the length of the program. HTH Worldwide provides insurance coverage for accident and sickness, and also emergency assistance services. Students will be emailed instructions on how to log into the HTH Worldwide site for coverage and benefit information prior to departure.