Financial Aid: Dean's Scholarships
Financial aid, in the form of Dean's Scholarships, is awarded to Pre-College students who demonstrate financial need and academic merit. Need is determined by considering several factors, including family income, family size, number of siblings in college, and housing expenses. International students are not eligible for Dean's Scholarships.
Dean’s Scholarship awards are meant to assist students who could not otherwise attend the Pre-College Program. All students are required to submit a program deposit to confirm their attendance, regardless of award status.
Financial aid materials should be sent only after a completed program application has been submitted. The Dean's Scholarship fund is limited, and we encourage students to apply as soon as possible. Awards are made until funds are depleted, and funds may be depleted before the submission deadline. We cannot guarantee that all applicants who apply before the deadline will receive scholarship assistance.
Scholarship applicants will be considered for aid only:
- After we have received all required program application materials,
- After we have received all required financial aid application materials (please read on for details), and
- You have been accepted to the program of your choice.
All Dean’s Scholarship applications must be received by the stipulated deadlines on each application, which correspond with programs of study. Please fill out the appropriate scholarship application depending on which academic program you have applied/been accepted to. Students may not receive awards towards more than one program or class.
Required Scholarship Application Materials
- A completed Dean’s Scholarship Application form
- A copy of a filed and signed 2014 or 2015 federal tax return* showing adjusted gross income (include a copy of each parent or guardian’s tax return, if filed separately)
- Copies of W-2 form(s) from the same year as the submitted tax return
* The first two pages of a 1040 tax return are required, with the "Profit or Loss from Business" page only if the taxpayer is self-employed. Do not include supplemental schedules, as they are not required for financial aid determination.
Dean’s Scholarship Applications
Deadline: February 12, 2016
Deadline: March 31, 2016
Global Programs | Location-Based Courses
for Segovia and Rome Programs only
Deadline to apply for Global Programs Scholarships: March 31, 2016
Notification of Award for Global Programs Scholarships: April 8, 2016
Scholarship applicants already accepted to the program of their choice will be notified of an award decision 5-7 days after submitting all scholarship materials. Scholarship applicants not yet accepted who have already submitted all scholarship materials will be notified of an award decision 5-7 days after acceptance to the program.
Each year, admitted students work with their extended families, friends, neighbors, schools, and communities to fund program fees and transportation. View our Fundraising Guide for valuable information on how to clarify your costs, define your resources, and set a fundraising goal. In past years, students have been successful in obtaining scholarships from community organizations, local businesses and private funding agencies willing to fund motivated students.
Need more information? Email SPSscholarships@brown.edu or call 401-863-7900.