SPS Online Team Recommended Resources
The Online Team at SPS highly recommends these pedagogical resources for enhancing your knowledge about online and blended learning. We always welcome recommendations of noteworthy resources if they do not appear on this list.
On the Brown University Campus
School of Professional Studies (SPS)
- Working with the SPS Online Team
- Best Practices for Teaching Online
- Sign up for our “Facilitating Learning Online (FLO)” course
- Online Learning FAQ
- SPS Digital Media Online: A look at our projects and processes, including helpful hints!
Computing and Information Services (CIS)
Information Technology at Brown’s Computing and Information Services (CIS) provides high-quality information technology solutions and services to Brown University. The Instructional Technology Group supports teaching and learning at Brown through researching and promoting new technologies and providing consultation on effective pedagogical practices.
Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning
For teaching and pedagogical support, visit the Harriet W. Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning. Through its programs, services and publications, the Sheridan Center explores a variety of pedagogical approaches and offers support to all members of Brown's teaching community. Honoring Brown University's long-standing commitment to teaching, the Center recognizes the diversity of learning styles and encourages reflective, independent, life-long learning.
Online and Blended Teaching and Learning Organizations
- The Online Learning Consortium (OLC) began as Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) in 1992, a leading professional online learning society devoted to advancing quality digital learning. In 2014, as a self-sustaining worldwide organization, they rebranded to the Online Learning Consortium (OLC) to better align with their mission. OLC work is built around Five Pillars of Quality: Access, Learning Effectiveness, Faculty Satisfaction, Student Satisfaction, and Scale.
- Educause is a member-based organization for higher education professionals using technology to advance the field. The Educause Learning Initiative offers resources and learning opportunities for those interested in how innovative technology impacts student learning.
- Quality Matters (QM) is a non-profit organization dedicated to quality assurance (QA) in Online Education. They have QA tools and resources for K-12, Higher Education, Educational Publishing, and Continuing and Professional Education. The QM Rubric is used in the peer-review QA process to certify online courses from member institutions.
Open Educational Resources
Creative Commons Education has the mission of breaking down barriers amongst institutions to maximize the benefits of open educational resources (OER). The site provide cases studies and access to OERs under creative commons (CC) licenses.
- Faculty Focus
- American Journal of Distance Education
- Educause Review
- International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL)
- Online Learning (OLC)
- International Journal of e-Learning and Distance Education
- Journal of Educators Online (JEO)
- Journal of Interactive Online Learning (JIOL)
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT)
- Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration (OJDLA)
- Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning