Introduction to Creative Nonfiction (Online)
Course Code: ENGL 0930-S02
Creative Nonfiction: Reading, Writing, and Traveling takes advantage of its online format to enable students to read, reflect, and share their travel experiences from wherever they are this summer. Assignments includes blogging, actively participating in discussions, op-ed pieces, and a longer travel essay; students are also encouraged to explore visual and multimedia material for enhancing the writing. We travel to places we read about. Being there opens unique windows of experience. Good travel writing brings lived experience to others. The online format makes real in our day to-to-day work the fundamental condition of travel writing: that your reader is not there.
Students will explore and apply the techniques and narrative structures of creative nonfiction. May serve as preparation for ENGL 1180. Writing sample may be required.
This course is offered fully online and is open only to Brown Undergraduates and to qualified Visiting Undergraduates. The duration, course credit, and fees associated with the course are the same as other Summer Session courses. Students do not need to be on Brown's campus to participate in this course. Please view the technical requirements for this online course below.
- Computer with reliable, high-speed internet connection
- Up-to-date Internet browser supported by Canvas, Brown's learning management system
- Camera for still and video images (or smartphone)
- Headphones, earbuds or speakers
- Webcam and microphone
- Adobe Flash Player browser plugin (Course elements may require Flash and will not work on an iPad.)
- Word Processing application to save and open Microsoft Office formats (.doc,.docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx)
- Courses can also be accessed on tablets and mobile devices. These devices can be used as supplemental access points in order to complete most coursework.