Introduction to Creative Nonfiction (Online)
Course Code: ENGL 0930-S02 CRN: 60013
Creative Nonfiction: Reading, Writing, and Traveling takes advantage of its online format to enable students to read, reflect, and share their travel experiences from wherever they are this summer. Assignments includes blogging, actively participating in discussions, op-ed pieces, and a longer travel essay; students are also encouraged to explore visual and multimedia material for enhancing the writing. We travel to places we read about. Being there opens unique windows of experience. Good travel writing brings lived experience to others. The online format makes real in our day to-to-day work the fundamental condition of travel writing: that your reader is not there.
Students will explore and apply the techniques and narrative structures of creative nonfiction. May serve as preparation for ENGL 1180. Writing sample may be required.
Learn more about your instructor for this course.
This course is open to Brown undergraduates and qualified Visiting Undergraduates only. The duration, course credit, and fees associated with the course are the same as residential Summer Session courses, which are the equivalent of full-semester Brown University courses, offered in a condensed, seven-week format.
Brown undergraduate online courses are NOT self-paced, independent learning experiences; they are facilitated by Brown instructors. To complete an online course successfully, students are encouraged to engage with the course daily (at a time of their choosing) to keep up with required weekly and sometimes daily assignments. Plan to spend approximately 20-25 hours per week on coursework. Students do not need to be on Brown's campus to participate in this course. Learn more about what it is like to take an online course at Brown and view technical requirements at: brown.edu/go/whatisonlinelike.
To view a fuller course description, please visit the Summer Session Course Catalog.
- Computer with reliable, high-speed internet connection
- Up-to-date Internet browser supported by Canvas, Brown's learning management system
- Camera for still and video images (or smartphone)
- Headphones, earbuds or speakers
- Webcam and microphone
- Adobe Flash Player browser plugin (Course elements may require Flash and will not work on an iPad.)
- Word Processing application to save and open Microsoft Office formats (.doc,.docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx)
- Courses can also be accessed on tablets and mobile devices. These devices can be used as supplemental access points in order to complete most coursework.
This course is open to Brown undergraduates and qualified Visiting Undergraduates only.
When: 7 weeks. June 26, 2017 - August 11, 2017
Registration for Brown undergraduates opens March 31st.
This course is currently unavailable to visiting undergraduate students.